Nuclear-equipped bombers during the cold war

I read somewhere that at some point during the cold war, the USA would have a couple of nuclear-equipped bombers in the air 24/7 in case of a surprise attack from the Soviet Union. Thus, even if all nuclear silos and air bases were destroyed by preemptive Soviet attack, the bombers in the air would be unaffected and could retaliate.

Is that true? How many bombers would be in flight at any one time? And was this strategy used even after emergence of nuclear-armed submarines? Did Soviets also use it?

They had several operations around this theme, my favourite named one being Operation Chrome Dome. The Soviet Tupolev Tu-95 was similar in its niche to the US B-52 Statofortress and they did like their Fail Deadly systems so no doubt they were flying around at about the same time.

So that gives us a basic public route–I bet the real route was a couple of hundred miles, perhaps, from the arctic border of the Soviet Union–from Archangel to the Pacific. It’s best to look at it on a polar projection map, with the North Pole in the center. Or looking down at the North Pole on your globe. But it implies only one “buff” (B-52) flew at a time. And from only one Air Force Base. I can’t believe that’s all “Chrome Dome” entailed. More info, anyone?

Does anyone know at what Defcon DEFCON - Wikipedia level the around-the-clock operations were initiated, and willing to say or imply? For the OP, it wasn’t always, but it wasn’t uncommon, in my memory.

There were safety concerns - justified not long after - about the practice from day one, as this site comments on:

You may be also interested in the history of Operation Looking Glass, which kept a plane in air 24 hours a day - although that was to maintain command over US nuclear capability, not deploy it.

SAC had bombers in the air flying deterrence patrols until 1992 at all times, no matter what the DEFCON level was. They never indicated how many planes were in the air at any given time, their routes, or their reporting procedures. The only thing you can be sure of is that there were more than one and they were coming from many different directions at once.

The US has a deterrence concept called the Nuclear Triad: ICBMs, nuclear bombers, and SLBMs from submarines. The idea is that no matter what happens they cannot all be stopped, so first use constitutes national suicide due to the massive, unstoppable retaliatory response.

Some more info on Operation Chrome Dome routes and numbers:

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2011/August%202011/0811dome.aspx