Nuptuals off when friends decline to pay for $60,000 wedding

I think that’s what’s going on here.

The post itself was fake. But people like this exist.

So this post was satirical in a sense to bring attention to these people.

Yes, the “reality” show Bridezillas exists to do the same thing I suppose, but I never watched it. I didn’t know people like this were real. This… this internet meme… this is what got my attention.

You know, this could just be some elaborate promo for Bridezillas. That would be genius.

As someone who has in fact gone backpacking in South America–in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, in Colombia–which including being rousted in middle of the night by FARC guerillas one time, I’d can’t say we did find any Kardashian fans.

That’s great! Never heard that before.

Heh. Turns out my little brother had a destination wedding! We just thought of it as “avoiding turning the ceremony into a well-wishers’ parade by having it far enough from town that people not directly invited wouldn’t walk there.”

Well, yeah. Si non è vero, è ben trovato… the story may not be literally true but it is well-told.

Yeah, If this story appeared in The Onion, we’d laugh and enjoy it even though it was known as a fictional story.

I haven’t read all the details, but was it the wedding or honeymoon that would be in Aruba? And if it was the wedding, did guests have to pay for their travel to Aruba on top of the $1200 for the wedding, or was that included in the price?

What did the child do to you? Namecalling because of something out of the child’s control, even if technically “true”.

I haven’t heard “bastard” used that way in- never, really.

Not that this makes this story any realer, but ‘backpacking’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘camping’ any more. It just means cheap travelling, generally on extended trips, bringing stuff in a backpack rather than a suitcase or wheeled thingy. Backpacking may include a bit of camping, but a trip that focuses on camping and walking would now usually be ‘trekking’ in South America (not to be confused with going to Star Trek conventions in Rio).

You can go off somewhere, stay in cheap hotels, get the bus to the next town and never so much as see a tent and perfectly validly refer to it as backpacking; in fact there’s a whole class of accommodation called backpacker hostels, with some places on notable treks even calling themselves ‘walkers’ hostels’ to avoid confusion.

Does that detail make any sort of difference? At any rate, the guests were asked to send in a check for $1500 along with their RSVP, according to this bullshit story. Unless the bride is sending everyone airline tickets, one would assume the guests were stuck dealing with that themselves. I suppose it’s possible accommodation could have come out of the check, though, if this were an actual, real story about something that actually really happened.

ETA: Reading closer, it does say that the bride said: “Our dream wedding amounts to 60K – all included with flights to Aruba. All we asked was for a little help from our friends and family to make it happen.” So that makes it sound like the $1.5K might go towards the flight, as well, but that just seems like a logistical headache and I’ve never heard of a wedding couple arrange for all the guest’s travel.

Agreed. Eight people both having the cash AND being dumb enough to give it to them is waaaaaay too much to be believed.

Plus I expect that some of the wedding guests might have frequent flyer miles they could use for their flights, or have another way they can fly there cheaply. (Or if someone traveling to a resort destination like Aruba might want to stay on past the event they flew there to attend.) Seems unlikely that the $1,500 included travel costs for the guest. Most likely it was just the honeymoon destination.

Could be a travel agent and that seems like a reasonable amount depending on the number of days. Also, it is more reasonable to believe that 8 people would pay $1500 for a ‘vacation.’

There could also have been a minimum number to be reached for the group package.

Which was more offensive? Declyn or bastard? :smiley:

I don’t care how it’s supposed to be pronounced, if I were in school with “Declyn” I’d call him “Decline”.

I probably also would if I were an adult and their neighbor.

Snopes actually has an article up now detailing the inconsistencies in the story and the lack of any corroborating evidence beyond those two Facebook posts. That said, the status is “unproven” as nothing disproving it has showed up, either. I’m wondering where in the hell identifying “Susan” as Canadian came from. I can’t seem to find a primary source on that. The Daily Fail mentions her being Canadian, but nowhere in the rant do I see an indication of Canadian-ness.

Well, yes. $1500 for a trip to Aruba isn’t too bad. It could be kinda like when someone books a big table at a restaurant for their birthday, and everybody splits the check except for the honoree. If there are 10 guests, everybody essentially pays for their own meal and 1/10 of the meal for the person having the birthday.

If $1400 covered each person’s trip to Aruba, and the extra $100 went toward the couple’s travel and the ceremony, that’s very different from how most people are reading the story. It’s still kinda strange; tradition is for the couple or their families to pay for the wedding.

Does the post say that eight people sent the “cheque?” Nope. It says “check.”

It also says “Maid of HONOR,” where a Canadian would have written “Maid of HONOUR.”

This troll is an American.

True. But why would someone who didn’t kick in even BE in Aruba? And what’s the point of telling people who AREN’T in Aruba that they can’t attend an event that IS in Aruba?

My question (one of many)…how does an 18 year old afford a $5000 engagement ring?