NY AG Letitia James drops the (civil) hammer {On Trump & Family} [9/21/2022]

Makes perfect sense. Sue the judge, then demand that he recuse himself because of the conflict created by that other case. I can’t believe anyone saw through this cunning plan.

It’s common in civil litigation for one or both sides to move for summary judgment after discovery closes and the strengths and weaknesses of each side’s case are known. To win, the moving party has to show that there aren’t any material issues of fact still in doubt that require trial to decide.

Judge Engoran foreshadowed that point last week:

So is it fair to say that this summary judgment on the core issue probably makes Habba’s failure to request a jury trial that much less significant?

I forgot to mention that “worthless clauses” was Trump’s actual term for the disclaimers, and he bragged repeatedly about their worthlessness in his deposition. IIRC, at one point he claimed that lawyers everywhere, all the very good lawyers, told him he had the best “worthless clauses” they’d ever seen.

ETA: I just held my nose and looked at Truth Social, and Trump’s rant is about his disclaimers making him innocent. And he’s railing at the Trump hating judge.

« The best worthless clauses »

« A perfect telephone call »

« The best people »

« The best test answers »

For some reason, people just don’t believe him.

From a CBC article:

Yes, on that issue at least. Judge would have made the ruling and this question would not be submitted to the jury.

It’s truly odd how many judges just don’t appreciate his innocence, even the ones he appointed! More evidence of the Deep State

The news dropped just as I was leaving the office. I had skipped to the loo and saw the news as I was shutting down the computer.

“Ordering a quick timeline to dissolve.”

“ name independent receivers to manage the dissolution within 10 days.”

Trial for the remaining counts to start on oct. 2.

Here is the ruling : https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23991862/engoron-decision-and-order-september-26.pdf

Thanks for fielding that question, @Procrustus. While 30-plus years working in the legal world (regulatory decision copy editor, appellate brief copy editor, deposition and hearing/trial transcript proofreader) has given me a much broader understanding than the average layperson, I’m not a lawyer, and wasn’t sure of the answer.

I’m sure Trump will appeal the ruling, but I have a hunch that the appeals court will also be nitpicking needy jerks demanding such things as “evidence” and “coherent legal arguments based on actual law” and such, so it probably won’t do more than delay the inevitable.

probably a good chance of the appeals court staying the dissolution order pending appeal, since that’s irreversible.

Gotta love a ruling that quotes the Marx brothers in the footnotes. I do enjoy good footnotes.

I guess that if Trump’s lawyers also asked for a summary judgement, WTF could they appeal?
Also, does this mean that in NYC Trump’s name is coming off of any buildings?

Dipshit responds:

“Turn those machines back on!”

That is only one of the three deranged, unhinged rants he has put out in the last hour. All CAPS MELTDOWN!

This latest development must be hitting pretty close to the mark! “Wahh! They are being so mean to me - Wahhh!”

Eric “The Dumb One” Trump speaks out.

“We’ll over a billion” indeed.