NY Subway Question

I’ve never ridden the NY subway but may be doing so this weekend. I’m looking at a schedule for the G Train and on the map I see (at least I think I do) many stops. When I go to the downloadable schedules there are only six stops listed with times. Are these just the more “major” stops and you just approximate if your intended stop is somewhere in between or am I misreading something? FWIW, we’re are staying at Pod on Metropolitan Ave and want to hit Sunny’s Bar in Red Hook, “the best dive bar in Brooklyn” according to some. We were on a pub crawl a few years ago when I saw the place and thought it looked interesting but we were pressed for time. Bluegrass music to boot! Uber is $40+. Thanks in advance for locals’ knowledge.

Yes. The G train is a local train making all stops. Interpolate the missing stops. Some routes (the “A” for example) have multiple end points, sometimes at different times. In those cases, if the timetable is blank for a listed stop, the train does not go that terminus. Also, some express trains (e.g. the “4”) run as local trains during off-peak or late-night hours.

Haven’t been a local in years yet have to compliment Yelnick for sharing scholarly expert knowledge that probably even my brother (Forest Hills) doesn’t know.

If a Subway stop is nearby, you ought not need an Uber. Save it for Bluegrass and beer. Maybe take Yelnick with you.

But yeah, you should be okay and most NYC folk will help out. Enjoy the music!

Thanks guys I sort of assumed that to be the case but just wanted to be sure.

The subways run very frequently. You don’t really need to worry about timetables. Go to the platform you need and you’ll just be waiting a few minutes until the next train. They often have screens showing how long until the next one arrives.

I found it very helpful to have a paper map. As you go through the subway, you’ll see ticket booths around which sometimes have people in them. You can get a map from them.

You can pay for your ride with a touchless credit card. No need to buy tickets ahead of time.

Google maps has a way to show the route by using transit. Enter your destination and then click the train icon:

It’ll show you the route with the stops you need.

The route has you taking the bus at the end. You could do the Uber for just that part between the bar and the G stop.

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was thinking. We don’t mind walking but 1.5 miles through unfamiliar territory might not be the best idea. Definitely, not at night for the return trip. But 54 minutes to go 6 miles? I’m not used to city life, I guess

Yes, I didn’t realize the subway keeps to a schedule. (If it does, it won’t really) I’ve done just that, go to the platform and wait. Last time I was thre, credit card tap (or in my case, tap with phone or Apple Watch - Apple pay) worked. The only “gotcha” is to use the same credit card/phone every ride if you anticipate exceeding the maximum rides per day. (Once you hit the max, you have effectively bought an all-day pass and future rides for the day are free- I think that was about 4 rides when I was there).

I have a NYC subway app on my (Android) phone that is a map; it has both day & night maps because not every line runs at night; it is not an MTA app.

Don’t know what you’re looking at but that may also include wating time to transfer to a bus; it can be a lot faster to walk that last ½ mile than stand around waiting for a bus.

I have an app on my iPhone - likely the same one, called KickMap. Very handy - if you hold your finger on a station, it pops up a street map of the area around it.

As it turned out, we took the ferry from Willamsburg to Wall St. and transferred to another to get to Red Hook. Ubered back to the hotel So, still a NYC subway virgin. Maybe next time. BTW, we had great time. The Sunnys bluegrass jam had no less than 20 musicians playing at once at some points. Thanks for the advice.