NYC Dopers - Help a student planning his senior trip

After a couple friends and I would like to take our senior trip to NYC. Since we’re exceptionally cheap, we’ll be trying to get by on as low a cost as possible.

We’ve already decided to take the Chinatown shuttle from Philly to NYC ($6 one way!). Here’s where the fun begins. Has anyone had any experience with the Youth Hostel system? We found the Youth Castle that seems exceptionally cheap. We could stay for 6 nights at a total cost of only $90 per person! In addition, we’d be able to cook some of our meals to keep cost down.

This hostel is located on Lexington Ave. between 101st and 102nd streets. What type of an area is this? Will it be fine to return to by subway/bus at night?

Do any dopers have experience with hosteling in the NYC area? Any other suggestions for cheap students?

This hostel is located on Lexington Ave. between 101st and 102nd streets. What type of an area is this? Will it be fine to return to by subway/bus at night?

I have no experience with the hostels, but I can say that pretty much any area within Manhattan will be safe to return to (and hang out in, for that matter), so long as you keep your wits about you. And that goes for the bus as well as the subway.

If you’re planning on hosteling in the city, I’d recommend AYH at 103rd and Amsterdam.

It’s a nice hostel, and the area around 103rd and Amsterdam is more fun than the area around 100 and Lex. Well, ok, it’s relative, but 103rd and Amsterdam has a pretty good number of bars and restaurants around, and a higher incidence of pedestrians almost all times of the day.

Since Columbia University is at 116th and Amsterdam/B’way, you can find cheap eats all around the nabe. Metro Diner is terrible, but it is 24 hrs. (103-4?/Bway).

Additionally, the UWS has the added benefit of two separate subway lines.

Oh, and get a MetroCard. Key to the city.

• Bjorn240