NYC Street Addresses

In Kenosha WI, the E-W roads are “streets”, mostly numbered, and the N-S ones are “avenues”, also mostly numbered.
So you end up with quite a few intersections that are the corner of nth and nth.

But is “the corner of 1st and 1st” 1st avenue and 1st street, or is it 1st street and 1st avenue?

Wait. You’re not saying that Griffith park has no nearby avenue or such named after it. There’s Griffith Park Blvd that runs from Sunset, parallel to Hyperion and eventually jogs over to Los Feliz. Those parks are just begging to have a street named after them.

Yes :smiley:

Depends if the month has an R in it.

Obviously that was a bit facetious, but you could also have numbered intersections that weren’t the same number. Would a New Yorker ever speak of “the corner of 10th and 20th”, or the like, and if so, how would that be interpreted? Is it context-dependant?

On another note, not too far from here, there’s an intersection of Clifton Boulevard and Clifton Road. One block east is West Clifton, and one block south is North Clifton.

That’s how NYC is. msmith537 was quoting Seinfeld, and I lol’d.

In my experience the street usually comes first, so that example wouldn’t happen because there aren’t 20 avenues. I could see someone saying “I’ll meet you at the corner of 20th and 10th”, though. But if both numbers are valid streets and avenues (i.e. “I’ll meet you at 5th and 7th”), then yeah, you better clarify if you want me to be there. :smiley:

It’s context dependent. If I’m talking about Manhattan, I might say “42nd and 8th” because there isn’t a 42nd Avenue in Manhattan. If I’m telling my husband where the bagel shop is , I can tell him it’s on “93rd and 101st” because he knows there aren’t any stores on 93rd Ave and 101st St so it must be 101st Ave and 93 St. If the numbers are very different, sometimes the neighborhood name is enough context.(34th and 82nd in Jackson heights has to be 34 Ave and 82 St). But if I’m telling him where my cousin lives, I can’t just say “67th and 74th”. It could be 67 Ave or Lane or St or Place and the same goes for 74th - and they are all in the same neighborhood.

OH, and Horace Mann Elementary! I applied there but couldn’t get in… Thanks for some little nugget for me to search for while I drink my coffee.

And DooWahDiddy, thanks for that nugget of info re. Ave. and St. order. I’ve never lived in NYC but I think my brain always heard them as St. then Ave., like 42nd and Broadway.

Wouldn’t Lakewood be a bit of a commute from Encinitas?

Just to clarify, I think we’re saying the same thing. In my experience the street usually is first. Of course, that mostly has to do with the fact that the location in question is probably on the street, not the avenue. If it is on the avenue (i.e. 520 8th Ave.), then it would be appropriate to say “It’s on 8th Ave. btw. 35th and 36th”.

But yes, “42nd and Broadway” would be heard much more often than “Broadway and 42nd”.

Ah, excellent Thank you.

Yes to clarify if not obvious from your address label, you can only say ‘number and number’ in NY for parts of Manhattan in the vintage 1811 street grid where the avenues have numbers and where it’s assumed the address referred to is in Manhattan (lower Manhattan retained the pre 1811 jumble of named streets, and the avenues west of 5th on the 1811 grid are referred to by names above the bottom of Central Park, as the thread started out*). Brooklyn and Queens have different grids where numbered streets can cross and which can duplicate the names of Manhattan intersections, and as you mentioned and particularly in Queens the endings of the numbered streets can be Ln, Dr, Rd etc. as well as St or Ave.

*eg. 8th Avenue becomes Central Park West north of 59th st alongside Central Park, and Frederick Douglass Blvd north of 110th, ie north of the Park.

West 4th St. in Manhattan famously curves north at 6th Ave. and eventually intersects W. 11th St. and W. 12th St. There’s no ambiguity to a New Yorker to say 4th and 6th or 4th and 11th, though.

West 4th St. starts at Washington Square. The Square is bounded by Washington Square E., Washington Square S., Washington Square W., and Washington Square N. Meeting at any corner therefore does need more detail.

The only two intersections in Manhattan that I know of that require clarification are 1st and 1st and 2nd and 2nd. 3rd St. doesn’t intersect with 3rd Ave, 4th St. doesn’t intersect with 4th Ave, etc. The highest numbered avenue in Manhattan is 12th Avenue*, so that helps for there to be less confusion in most cases, including 10th and 20th.

Streets (not avenues) are preceded by West on the west side and East on the east side. So W 42nd St becomes E 42nd St at 5th Ave, although New Yorkers generally drop the East, West when speaking, as in “yo, meet me at that place on 42nd.” The exception would be when giving an address that could cause confusion. So you could expect to hear “take me to East 4th and 2nd”, and even though 20th Ave doesn’t exist, “take me to West 20th and 10th.”

*There is a 13th Avenue, but it’s almost non-existent and you can’t drive on it.

How do all those trucks get there then? :slight_smile:

It also looks like you can stage a meet on the corner of 13th Ave. and 13th Ave. if you really wanted, some Friday the 13th.

13th Ave used to be a lot bigger, but most of it was demolished to dredge out more space for the docks.