NYT Spelling Bee drives me crazy

Today’s Word I Thought Should Have Been Accepted But Wasn’t was lignin.

Yes, I’m currently needing 6 points for a natural QB and that word would be perfect. In fact, I tried it several times.

I had to stop to verify I was spelling it correctly.

LIGNIN and DADO seem to universal head-scratchers, and I’m still wondering why they took away YEAN.

Strange week for the Bee after that monstrosity on Sunday. Yesterday’s puzzle was the first to have four vowels that didn’t include a -y. It also had to be the most obvious pangram…maybe ever? Today’s surprised me because I thought there would far fewer words. We had the same pangram last year with the ‘n’ in the center and that puzzle only had 25 words.

I get that some words are “distasteful” or whatever but an English word is an English word. All of them should be included. It’s not like we all didn’t try it. Why don’t they allow TURD?

The Times ran an article in August (gift link) on why some words are accepted and others are not.

[Sam Ezersky] edits for familiarity and avoids a word if its primary definition is considered a slur or a vulgarity, or if it elicits a viscerally negative reaction.

Whoosh

Wait, there was a joke there?

Yeah sorry. That’s on me.

I expected people to assume that I was going to say C*NT and then it was something milder

FTR, I got it and was about to add CUNT

Then I got the joke and decided not to.

Today’s puzzle gave me a lot of grief, for some reason. The brain just wasn’t working right.

I’m having a tough time too.

Didn’t it used to be allowed?

You’d think that a game that’s all about words would include genitive in its lexicon, but apparently not.

Also, eventing is certainly more common than ogive if you ask me.

I always try that failed word you listed. It was a common word for us, not sure if it’s broadly common.

I’m a P6 away from QB and completely befuddled.

Finally got it by typing random syllables. PANDAN is way too obscure - It’s an Asian plant used in cooking. I know Sam likes cooking terms, so I was sure it would be PANADE . Very disappointing Bee today.

Still no knap or knapped. Grrr.

This is the debut of PANDAN after being rejected 20 times. Maybe Sam found himself in a Malaysian restaurant.