Obama and Trump meet in White House

Frankly I’m more interested in the meeting between Michelle and Melania went. She looks like the least enthusiastic First Lady since Bess Truman.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Plus there’s all those boring names he’ll have to remember, like “Africa”.

Yes, Trump should have chosen one of the many progressive centrist types who were lining up for the VP slot.

He doesn’t give a shit about gay people one way or another. If he needs to throw them to the wolves, he’ll have no problem doing that. I suspect he’d be just as happy throwing rightwing Christians to the wolves, too, and that’s about the best hope I can have for his presidency: just as he refuses to pay his contractors, maybe he’ll refuse to pay his voters.

Already, though, that doesn’t look like what’s happening. He’s fine passing out favors, and he’s passing them out to the worst kinds of people.

I don’t disagree with your point, but I think you snipped the phrase “the gay”: the full phrase was “the gay etc. community”. It didn’t look like it was some sort of out-of-touch way of referring to homosexuality.

Trump told the press afterward that he was surprised that they met for 90 minutes, as he expected it to only be 10 or 15 minutes. Right: because turning over the reigns of government is as simple as tossing someone the keys and showing him where the bathroom is. :rolleyes:

That got me thinking: Isn’t she going to be the first foreign-born First Lady since… :confused:??

Google autocomplete London-born Louisa Adams, wife of sixth U.S. president John Quincy Adams, was the first.

But the cool part is that now we’ll all get to hear about it via 1:30 am tweets!

And if you miss them, the highlights will be on Putin’s Facebook page!

It’s tiny by comparison, but a good example of the facility with which Trump lies. Not even with malicious intent, or for obvious gain, in this case— an attempt at flattery, I guess? Or seemingly for no reason at all, sometimes. His relationship with the truth is so tenuous that I wonder if he even knows what truth is.

One certainty over the next few years: outlets like The Daily Show and John Oliver’s, when they want to show a montage of Trump (or one of his underlings) making two completely contradictory statements, won’t have to go digging very far into the clip archive.

If Tony Schwartz (who ghostwrote The Art of the Deal for Trump) is to be believed - and I so no reason why he shouldn’t be - then no, Trump has no regard whatsoever for the truth. Worse, he has an amazing ability to believe his own lies.

This is very worth a read if you haven’t already seen it: Donald Trump’s Ghostwriter Tells All.

My apologies for that error.

That’s not a fair paraphrase of what he said. He said: “This is a meeting that was going to last maybe 10 or 15 minutes, and we were just going to get to know each other, We had never met each other. I have great respect. The meeting lasted for almost an hour and a half, and it could have, as far as I’m concerned, gone on a lot longer.”

Link. That quote starts about 1:30 into the video on that page.