Obama Funny; McCain Funny Again

I thought McCain was carefully reading every single word, but delivered it better anyway.

Just got done watching both clips, and frankly, after the tedium of the debates, it was refreshing to see both candidates acting something like actual people rather than election machines. I also was struck by the eloquence of both at the ends of their respective speeches, and, following the incessant nastiness exhibited over the past couple weeks, the kind words and seemingly genuine respect expressed by McCain for Obama.

And some, even many, of the jokes, were actually funny to my ears, particularly McCain’s riffs on the Clintons (Bill not making it out on the campaign trail out of respect for Zoroastrian New Year), and Obama’s ‘Who is Obama? It’s right there on my Facebook page’, among others.

It was very funny and I agree that McCain had better timing. Kinda surreal, though, to see them both so relaxed and funny.

fwiw, here is an excerpt from John Kennedy’s remarks at the Al Smith Dinner of 10/19/1960, taken from the book, The Kennedy Wit, edited by Bill Adler (1964), pp 16-18

It made me think better of both of them.

I wonder how Nixon’s speech came off. He wasn’t exactly known as the greatest comic wit in politics. (“Sock it to meee?”)

I just saw a clip of the '00 dinner with W. on the Chris Matthews Show. In it, he made some quip about his audience being composed of “the haves and the have-mores.” Pretty lame. Both Obama and McCain were better, if that short clip was any indication of Bush’s whole speech.