Obligation to report seeing an illegal object?

1. How do you know that they are “individual member of the public”? The government does own all of those things. (I’d have to say that convicted prisoners doing forced labor is something very akin to slavery.)

2. How do you tell a “Functional nuclear weapon” from a movie prop?

3. Ever been to a “dungeon”? They auction off “slaves” there all the time. Sure, it is temporary and they are not realy "slaves’ (just submissives) but they call themselves slaves. One SF con has a “Kilnog Slave Auction” for charity. Going to call the police on that one?

One has to use their common sense. That why there are few if any laws that require dudes to call in. So when Si Amigo posits: “What if you are aware that the police are looking for a stolen surface to air missle and just happen to see your crazy, fanatical Muslim neighbor pull one into his garage?”, then you’d use your common sense and call. But if you knew there were street closing for a film being made, then saw cameras, film crew AND what appeared to be a missle, then one would use that common sense and not call in.

Any law mandating a report is silly unless the knowledge is next to certain. And then we’d have to mandate a certain level of common sense and inteligence amlung the citizenry. :dubious: :rolleyes:

Now, requiring that certain licenced professionals report some crimes vs children on only a reasonable suspicion is different, as those dudes are exactly that “licenced professionals”, when we can *require *certain professional responsibilities and professional training and assume a level of intelligence, if not common sense.

Also in FL here. I have both a state certification to design fire alarm and burglary alarm systems. We were told by the state instructor that, for instance, a warehouse owner contacted me to redesign or change or inspect his security system, and while there, I noticed that his fire system was non functional, that if I did not report it as such to the local fire inspector there were both civil and criminal liability issues. It would most likely stay civil liability, since it would be easier to prove negligence, but criminal charges could be filed as well.

This is quite an interesting game. My question to groman was about the absolute right or wrong of whether and individual can or cannot own objects in the list. Again, you seem to be turning it into something else - about whether a bystander can discern this or that. That wasn’t any part of the question I asked groman.

Whoa whoa whoa, we were discussing legality, a much more complicated subject. You didn’t ask anything absolute right or wrong! Since I am the final no-questions-asked authority on all moral issues in the universe, and also happen to be never wrong, those things are not absolutely wrong at all.

Do you really think that a question seemingly directed at one poster can only be answered by that poster and no one else? :dubious: If you really wanted groman and only groman to answer, why not PM him?

OK, maybe not absolute, but what I mean is that I was asking “under what circumstances, if any, may an individual member of the public lawfully own object X” - coming back with “how do we know he’s an individual member of the public?” is just a pointless derailment.

If I’d asked “What anti-baldness medications may a doctor lawfully prescribe?”, it would just be daft to say “how can you be sure he’s a doctor”, because the question wasn’t about any specific individual - it was about what member of a specific class of individuals can lawfully do.

It’s a little more like ‘Under what circumstances, if any, can your doctor lawfully prescribe you cocaine?’ to which the correct answer, to the best of my knowledge, is a) if the cocaine is administered in the surgical setting under supervision of a licensed ENT surgeon and b) in a research study with the proper DEA paperwork.

Which closely resembles the answer to your question: “An individual may possess those things if sanctioned by the government to do so.” For nukes we definitely have established channels or nukes wouldn’t get made.