Oblivion trailer, worst spoiler trailer ever?

:confused::confused::confused:

Oblivion is Rosebud.

Okay, I just watched three different extended trailers for Oblivion and here’s what I’ve got:Tom Cruise plays a guy who loyally works for a big organization. He finds out the organization has been lying to him. His friends tell him to trust the organization. But Cruise’s character does the right thing and defies the organization.How is this a plot twist? It describes half the action thrillers out there including most of Cruise’s recent movies. The specific details of this version of the usual plot don’t seem all that important but here’s what I took from the trailers:Earth was attacked by aliens. Humans won but the Earth had to be evacuated. Cruise’s character has been left behind temporarily to clean up some final details. Then he finds there are people still living on Earth. One of them is a woman apparently from his past. The answer why the organization decided to hide the existence of these survivors will presumably be revealed in the movie for anyone who cares. I also assume Cruise’s character will heroically triumph and defeat the evil organization.Did I miss something? The only spoiler here seems to be Tom Cruise is making a Tom Cruise movie.

I’d have to say that this trailer is fairly mild compared to some I’ve seen. I’m guessing the “twist” the OP refers to is still revealed probably 1/3 of the way into the movie. I’ve seen trailers where something critical that occurs 3/4 (or farther) into the movie was revealed in the trailer. Ridiculous.

I know this thread is about the trailer, but this review in the Daily Mail doesn’t make the movie sound good.

Oblivion beckons

1. It tells you right from the start that Jackie Robinson was the first Major League ball-player to break the color barrier.

SFC Schwartz

Fight my ignorance. How do we know that plot points are spoiled? Have some people seen the movie or is it known that the film’s script contains all the same plot points as its source material?

Ok here is what was in an official trailer I saw. My guesses are in asterisks.

[spoiler]Earth was attacked by aliens and humans had to leave, Cruise works keeping weapon drones working and killing the few remaining aliens on Earth so that hopefully one day humans can return.

He is then captured by the “aliens” and tied up to a chair, Morgan Freeman lights a cigar revealing a rag tag group of humans in a dark auditorium. Cruise has been killing the few remaining humans, not aliens!

He has a female handler on the floating airstrip he lives on, he finds a body that looks exactly like her, and is then screaming at the handler woman on the airstrip through a glass door. She is a machine copied by the aliens to fool Cruise into killing the last remaining humans
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]Okay this is possible. There’s one scene whereAn apparent alien attacks Jack. It has what appears to be a non-human shape. But it could be a human in some kind of body armor.
But I think you’re just mistaken on this:[spoiler]

[/spoiler]If I understand who you’re talking about you’re referring to two separate characters, played by two different actresses, Andrea Riseborough and Olga Kurylenko.

I heard the film described as a “live-action WALL-E.”

Sounds like a blast. :rolleyes:

It looks like watching somebody play a video game.

I was glad the trailers for Lincoln didn’t give away the ending.

It’s funny because when I was watching trailers earlier today, I thought to myself that Pacific Rim looks like a live-action remake of Monsters vs Aliens.

For what it’s worth, the full plot is available at the film’s Wiki article - in case you wanted to really spoil yourself and confirm whether your guesses are correct.

Oblivion is people!!!

On a tangent, how do spoiler-phobes decide what they want to go see? I see people react very strongly against the reveal of any plot point (not just a plot “twist,” although some act as if there is no difference) and wonder how they can tell whether they might like the film.

It didn’t seem as big of a botch as The Island.

Geez, use some spoiler tags.

The trailer for Castaway revealed that Tom Hanks got off the island. I think it’s pretty hard to top that.