Obscure board games of your ute.

When I was a nipper, I had two favorite board games. Actually, niether of them were actually board games.

One was, and I am sure this is wrong, **“Behind the Eight Ball” **which was essentially a funnel that you spun your ball in along with the 8 ball and the objective was to get your ball down the hole before the eight ball. For a caboose child like myself, this was hours of suspense and drama. I ebay’d this title and what came up was not the game of my ute.
Another game, and I cannot remember the title at all, was from the 60’s and it was a balancing game. You put a colored sphere like a poker chip in size on a wirey thingy that you hoped would not upset your lot. It was a group effort, kinda like pick up sticks. I think if you managed to get rid of all your thingies without making the wirey contraption tip ( which reminds me in my recollection of being strangely George Jetsonish in design.) you won.

And a classic strategy game: ** Score Four**, which my husband and I made our own board out of metal dowels and nuts and took it to a different level. Loads of fun.

Score Four

Oh, if anyone could help me with the name of the second game, I’d been eternally thankful.

“Excuse me, did you say ‘ute’?”

There was something called “Stock Market,” where you bought and sold stock, which went up and down depending on how others bought it. However, it was actually before my time – probably in the 50s – when I discovered it.

There was also “The American Heritage Game of the Civil War,” which was designed so that the South usually won.

After my youth, there was “Enemy Agent,” where you had to find the secret plans and get them back across the border.

After wracking my brain for the last hour, and googling every combination, I found it.

Tip It
I can now sleep.

One of my favorites was Husker Du…really more of a ‘Memory’ style game. Had a board though, and the pictures could be moved around so it wasn’t the same.

Another favorite (albeit a card game) was Mille Bourne.

Parcheesi
Operation
Backgammon
Sorry
Connect Four! (not technically a board game, but …)
Chinese Checkers (only at my grandma’s house)
Mousetrap (I don’t think I ever actually played the game. We just set up the Rube-Goldberg-like device and watched it go.)

Cathedral!!!

Um, Skeptic? In what world are Parcheesi, Backgammon, or Operation obscure?:confused:

ER Nurse: Mille Bourne rules!

I remember playing a game called “Snit’s Revenge”. In it, you were the snits, a small army of organisms invading a much larger, blobby shaped host. The host would send out the equivalent of antibodies to take you out, while you tried to get a foothold and spread your little snits through out the host’s system.

It sounds much stranger than I remember it being. My mom and brothers and I played it a whole lot in the early 80s.

Smog. An antipollution game, rather true to life, in which players were city managers trying to strike a balance between keeping their towns smogfree and not alienating voters with high taxes and major inconveniences.

Komissar. Or perhaps Kommissar. I don’t remember. A takeoff on life in Russia, complete with Trans-Siberian Railroad, Nishegorodskaya Boulevard, “Party” cards with drawings of uniformed bullies, and “People” cards showing a sad sack in a Russian-style fur hat.

Wildlife. Or was it Wild Life? A mostly boring game with nice animal pictures.

“Risk” is not obscure enough. Neither are “Monopoly” or “Scrabble.” Executive decision, but one with which I am sure you’ll all agree.

My favorite was a handmade board game that a friend of mine had called Jungol.

The board represented water, land, and rocks. Each player (it was for two players only) had a man, a cat, a snake, and a gator. The object of the game was to either move your man across the board into the other person’s “home” or to kill off their man using your animals.

The movement and hits were controlled by dice. 3 movement dice had symbols for land, water, rocks and blank on them. 3 dice with animal symbols controlled the animal movement and “strikes”.

The entire board including the animals was hand carved and the dice were homemade. I would forever love anyone who could find me such a board. I’ve searched all over the internet and thus far been unable to find it anywhere. My friend was originally from Oregon, and she claimed that they had “Jungol tournaments” in her town, but I’ve lost touch with her, so I don’t know what town it was.

I wish I had the woodworking skills to just make my own board, but alas, I am not so talented.

Shirley, your Tip It link actually went to the Score Four game. I found this picture, though. And here’s Behind the 8 Ball. Apparently you can buy them here.

I guess the most obscure ones I recall were Concentration (kindof cool contraption with scrolling puzzles), and this tower game with (approximately) foot-long plastic “pillars” in various colors that held up several platforms. You’d spin a spinner, land on a color and have to remove that color pillar from the tower. If you made it fall down, you lost (and had to be the one to rebuild) – a precursor to Jenga, in a way. There was also a game we played on a long, narrow “board” that had two rows of cups and you had to move pebbles around in them, but heck if I can recall how to play or what the object was.

And one my husband and I still occasionally play is Pente. Holy smokes - it’s selling on ebay and the bid is currently up to $41.00!! Wow!

Oh yeah, and Rummikub! Also very fun.

Mattel put out Flip, Flop, Go which was Othello-like in that tokens surrounding other tokens would cause the surrounding tokens to flip to the opposite color.

It came with flat tiddlywink-style pieces white on one side and orange on the other, like a dixie cup. Each player also had a plastic scorekeeper attached to the board to keep track of scores (moving dials changed numbers in a view window).

The differences from “Go” were manifist, and the difference from Othello was that each player had one piece with “stop” written on the other side. If you were playing orange, you’d stategically place your “stop” token with its plain orange side up and if the person playing white surrounded this token and went to flip it over, they would see “Stop” on the white side and have to reflip all the tokens in that row.

It was great at a certain stage for developing strategic thinking - and it was fun.

Candyland! wow, I remember playing this with my grandfather, at his behest I am sure.:wink:
Operation. I didn’t have this, but can remember playing and delighting at the red nose on the “patient” (who looked like Moe from the 3 Stooges) lighting up when I missed.
Don’t Break the Ice. Kind of like Jenga, but on one dimention.
I actually DID have the 'BARREL FULL OF MONKEYS" and it was pretty fun. To chew on. When I was 3. :slight_smile:

“Oh What A Mountain!”

It had a verticle board, and you moved your pieces up it by hanging them from little holes or hooks (can’t recall which). Sometimes a ‘Boulder’ would be allowed to roll down a path on the mountain, and if it knocked pieces off on the way down they had to start over.

I also had a game where you had to search for oil, buy wells, and try to get rich. You had to pay to look for oil somewhere by putting this oil well piece over a hole on the board, and if the hole was shallow this sliding piece in the middle would be pushed up, indicating how good an oil well it was. The game was randomized because there was a board under the board that you spun before the game that determined how deepo the holes were.

I also had a game called ‘Dark Tower’ or something like that with a big electronic tower in the middle that kept track of how many soldiers, supplies, gold, etc. each player had. When you moved you pushed a button and it would randomly generate what happened to you. This was conveyed to you by a red LED numeric display and a rotating cylinder with different pictures on it that would be backlit - i.e. it would rotate and show you a picture of Brigands with the number 60 on the LED, that meant you encountered 60 brigands.

Careers - You secretly distribute your ‘career points’ between Money, Fame and Happiness, then move around the board, taking side trips down different career paths that can award or cost you varying amounts and types of points. The first person to complete their career goals wins, and since everyone chooses their own goal, nobody’s trying to do the same things. Me? I always went for the bucks.

This would be a great game for my wife and me now, but the only versions available are antiques.

Well, it’s not too obscure, but I loved “Dark Tower.” I loved the (at the time) impressive sound effects that the electronic contraption made when a door creaked open, for example.

We also had a truck-driving-themed game called “Breaker 19.” All I remember about it is that the goal was to transport a load of nitroglycerin across the country without blowing up.

In my world, Mr. Babbington.

Okay, okay, my post was a bit off-topic. I was only going to mention Mousetrap, but then I got carried away with nostalgia.

I’m still trying to figure out what happened to my “ute.”

At some point I recall having an “It’s A Raid!!!” game from the same people that produced the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. comics. It was, like, you know…uh… something to do with being busted for pot and you had to get away some how…I don’t really remember.

When much younger I had a game called Tiger Island. All I remember is that there was this tiger standing erect in the middle of the board, and if you put your game piece into the wrong place at the wrong time, the tiger would bop it on the head with a big club.