Obscure Reference in Old Steely Dan Song

acupuncturist who helped them get over drug addiction

http://www.steelydandictionary.com/

And which of the several towns named Annandale in the Continental USA will they never go back to unless California should tumble into the sea?

A follow up question, if I may. Who’s 'Retha Franklin? I think she’s mentioned in Hey 19. :wink:

That would be Ben’s younger sister.

Ignorance fought! Thank you.

Oh, Leaffan, you got some ‘splainin’ to do. :wink:

Can’t tell if you’re serious or not (since your from relatively close by to Annandale, I’m guessing you’re not), but anyhow, both Becker and Fagen went to Bard College at Annandale-on-Hudson.

I had a dentist named Dr Wu, in his 40’s and American who had never heard of that song.

So…Dr. Wu…you are real…and not the shadow of a a man I once knew…

Does anyone know why Katy is so untruthful?
mmm

I’m not sure, but you can see it in her eyes.

Fagen must have a gift for obscure lyrics. On his solo song IGY he talks about a Tuesday weld. Now, I’m no expert of modern construction techniques, but why should a welder be better on Tuesday than any other day?

You’re whooshing us, right? Tuesday Weld was the daughter of The Man Who was Thursday (who coincidentally played striker for Sheffield Wednesday). Her uncle was the famous baseball player/evangelist Billy Sunday.

IIRC, The Man Who Was Thursday once helped out Joe Friday on an investigation. He helped Joe clear Alexander Mundy, who was charged with stealing some Billie Holiday memorabilia.

Jiminy Christmas!