Obvious things about a creative work you realize after the millionth time (OPEN SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

Me and you and a dog named Boo, traveling and living off the land…

Sounds great, right?

The only way to live off the land over time is farming. Farming and traveling don’t exactly go together.

I don’t think you’d randomly encounter enough sustenance just growing in the wild to live a robust, plant-heavy life AND continue to move from location to location. Especially if you’ve had no formal survival training to speak of.

Thievery is also “living off the land.” Stealing fruit, veggies and such.

Also hunting. Humans have “lived off the land” for most of the time our species has existed, and some groups still do even today.

I tried to find Annie’s original post to get some context but this thread is just too frickin’ long. Anyway, I never took those lyrics to mean literally “living off the land” as in foraging for fruit and berries. I always thought it was meant as shorthand for moving along and taking odd jobs / doing whatever to maintain daily sustenance. In other words, eschewing the conventional life and going wherever the singer’s dreams took him.

Yeah. They’re drifters, of the Easy Rider variety, but with thumbs instead of motorcycles.

If we can count naming products as a “creative work”, I only just realized last night that Pop Secret brand popcorn is a play on the phrase “top secret”.

Sure. But the guy in the song doesn’t sound like someone who’s setting out to stalk deer with a bow & arrow, field dress it, salt and smoke it…

“They had a huge nest egg. They sold cocaine.”

They actually experimented to get it right, for all the good it ended up doing them. It wasn’t buoyant enough to hold them both.

Sir Lancelot.

Lancelot.

Lance a lot.

He was a jouster.

:man_facepalming:

That’s more a back-formation. There are many theories as to the origin of the name, but that’s not one of them. Quote the Wiki:

I didn’t just realize it, but I thought that was the significance of the name too.

It took a while before I realized that the 3 crime-detecting oracles in the movie Minority Report are named after pioneering authors of detective fiction - Agatha (Christie), Arthur (Conan Doyle) and Dashiell (Hammett).

A stupid one: it took me aaaaaaages to get the “Banana Guard” joke in Adventure Time.

Which was…?

Princess Bubblegum’s guards are banana guards. They look like this (not counting Finn and Jake there):

The joke is that “banana guards” are a real thing - they’re containers used to transport individual bananas without brusing:

Heh, when I was a kid I thought the difference between “hero” and “heroine” was not a gender one, but that a hero was someone who did the saving, and the heroine was the one who got saved.

I got confused by “heroine” and “heroin”…

I have trouble with clause/Claus.

You can’t fool me. There ain’t no sanity clause.