Obvious things about a creative work you realize after the millionth time (OPEN SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

Is there any reason to think this is anything other than a coincidence? Did Beckett speak or understand Mandarin?

In any case, it’s not exactly obvious, as the OP asked.

Yes and no on the meaningless, I think. I’m probably the last person who should be addressing this, but I’m now understanding it to aknowledge that we’re all aware of the famous “Mary’s baby”, aka The Lord, and that this is a Mary of a different kind with an equally formidable bun in her oven. It kind of makes more sense of you say it as “*Rose *Mary” with the emphasis on “Rose”. It refers to and also differentiates her from the original Mary.

And now that I have wasted everyone’s time by belaboring this, I would like to conclude with the explanation that not being Christian, I never think of Christ, on thoses rare occasions that I ponder him at all, as “The Son of Mary” so Mr. Levin’s little play on words was lost on my poor, dense soul.

I shall shut up now :smack:

Well, after mentioning lines on the mirror it goes “There were lines on her face” which I assume would be the wrinkles. And if you remember, how did you guys come up with cracks from a car crash?

From Miracle on 34th Street Script - transcript from the screenplay and/or classic 1947 Natalie Wood movie which purports to be the film dialogue (reformatting and minor corrections by me). It matches my memory, though, and has been in the movie every time I’ve seen it.

I’m not disputing your point. I’m only asking what evidence for your point was cut from that part of the movie.

I remember this scene, too, rowrrbazzle … there were photographers in the scene, taking pictures.

I always wondered why Macy’s would be selling x-ray machines.

I don’t think they sold them - they used to use them in shoe-selling departments. Yes, really. So the store would have a way to buy them as equipment.

Keep in mind that this was like 27 years ago, so my memory isn’t exactly fresh.

But I think it was life in the fast lane, you’re driving really fast, so you could crash and break a mirror.

I think.

Igor’s hump does.
Sorry…Eye-gore.

I see what you’re getting at. I’m still sticking to cocaine*, but I see what you’re getting at.
I’m talking about interpreting the song lyrics, of course :smiley:

The A stands for Audi. At least that’s all I can figure.

It was obvious to me, looking back after a single semester of first-year Chinese.

Two characters who exhibit an older brother-younger brother relationship, calling each other the exact terms used in Chinese to describe such a relationship, gives me an inkling that Beckett may have picked up a dictionary or asked a Chinese friend about those words at some point in writing the play.

I had just assumed they were nicknames rising out of Vladimir–Didi, and Estragon–Gogo. At least, that was the party line when I studied the play in a British Literature class. And I hated it anyway, so my memory is probably not sparkling.

John Byrne, in the intro to his revamping of the Superman comics, told how for the longest time he saw Supey’s chest shield as two fishy shapes swimming past each other… and then finally “reversed” the perception and saw… the letter S!

This is the guy who at the time was, if not THE Supes artist, was at the least drawing a LOT of Our Favorite Kryptonian Exchange Student.

He went on to explain that even though the S shield makes sense now, he still draws Superman’s logo as two fishy shapes swimming past each other… wow.

In XTC’s Senses Working Overtime, he says “all the world is football-shaped”. It took me a long time to realize he’s English and meant a sphere!

I have two.

The first is the jingle at the end of Kay Jewelers ads–“Every kiss begins with Kay.” I never realized until this past Christmas that they were trying to make a play on words: The letter “K” is spelled “kay” phonetically.

Also, the Neighborhood Watch eye. I didn’t realize it was an eye with the pupil off center, you know, as when someone is “WATCHING”. :slight_smile: until I was a teenager. I always saw it as a spinner of some sort, the pupil being the axis on which the spinner spun.

When I was a kid, I devoured the Narnia books multiple times in a row.

In The voyage of the Dawn Treader there’s a section from Eustace’s diary where Lucy gives him some of her scant water ration explaining “girls don’t get as thirsty as boys.”. To which his response is that he always thought as much and that this sort of thing “ought to be more generally known”.

So it was about 3 or 4 years of me mentally shouting at the book “Yes We Do you silly bint!” before I realised - duh - she was lying to make him feel better, and he was so clueless that it was a completely wasted effort, since he was selfish enough to have taken it even if he DID realise she was as thirsty as him

Aluminium, I think. The A-line was introduced when they replaced the steel platform with an all-aluminium space frame, which was reportedly the first implementation of one in a mass-market car.

I really hope it’s this, because if the Audi A6 is supposed to mean “Audi Audi 6”, I’d have to direct a major rolleyes their way. And they’d be quaking in their boots, yo.

Wikipedia says the Infiniti logo is a stylized representation of Mt. Fuji.

I’m pretty sure. While I haven’t been able to find a definite cite for it so far (I guess they must relish the mystery of it.), I did find out yesterday that the A2 concept model was given the internal designation Al2 for utilizing the second iteration of the aluminium frame.