Obvious things about a creative work you realize after the millionth time (OPEN SPOILERS POSSIBLE)

Can I just point out that it’d be nice if people here explained what they mean with their cryptic “answers” (that are really just questions), before they hit “Post and Take Off For Points Unknown”?

How much of this thread has been taken up with “What did you mean by Audi A2?” No reply. “I wonder what they meant by Audi A2?”;“Here’s what I think they meant by Audi A2.”; “I figured out the Audi A2!” “No, I know what they reeeeeally meant!”

I mean, how rude would it be if I walked up to you at a party and said “I know where Amelia Earhart is! Just wait right here for a minute…” and then ran away. Wouldn’t you get a little impatient after a day or two? Especially if those two days were full of other people coming up and guessing at what I would’ve said if I’d stuck around? Or giving their pet Amelia Theories*.

So PLEASE, don’t just say “I finally figured out what ‘a movie star, the professor and Mary Anne…’ really means!” without telling us.

• Feel free to substitute Fermat’s Last Theorem, The Kessel Run, The GOP’s 9/11 Plot, or Obama’s French Birth Certificate, depending on your Geek Quotient and IQ.

Sometime in the past year I realized something about “West Side Story”. The notes for the word “Maria” in the song of that name, C-F#-G, are the same notes as on the phrase “Who knows?” in “Something’s Coming” with the last two notes in a lower octave. In addition, the opening 3 notes of the musical, G-C-F#, are the same, just starting on the G instead of the C.

I thought this should’ve been noticed before, so I Googled a bit before posting this, and it had. I also found the original concept of the musical was for a Jewish girl and a Catholic Italian-American boy, with the anti-Semitism of the Catholics as a source of conflict. They eventually rejected this because the subject had already been explored in “Abie’s Irish Rose” and similar productions.

I also came across this page, which contains a letter that reports Bernstein claimed the whole musical was based around the G-C-F# notes. The letter also claims that those notes are a remnant of the Jewish/Catholic concept because that’s one of the soundings of the shofar on Jewish New Year! I did find one shofar rendition on YouTube that was closer to C-F#-G.

From the letter: “The overture is vivid tone-painting of terrifying Jew-baiting, for example, subjecting this shofar theme to being mocked and chased by the other instruments.”

I think you might have missed the first word in the thread title.

That’s ironic, isn’t it?

Maybe someone can start a thread on unique epiphanies we’ve had on works of art. I’ve had no such ephiphany except didi/gogo, which noone else seems to believe, so I’m afraid I won’t be starting it. And I’m lazy.

Hey!

Once I realized that, I could no longer hear those commercials without rewriting it in my head, every time it’s sung, as “The word kiss begins with K”

This is really embarrassing…
But it took me several rereads of the first Harry Potter book to realize that Diagon Alley was a play on diagonally… <hangs head in shame>
I also (this has nothing to do with art, but could arguably be more important to day to day life) only recently realized that all the Tupperware I inherited from my sister have coordinating numerals on them. I used to just curse and try 3-4 lids, but then I noticed that the #2 bowl has a #2 lid…
And I have a graduate degree! :eek:

Re West Side Story: we had to “analyze” it for 8th grade music class (it and Carmen; not at the same time). My music teacher brought up the repetition of notes and themes and keys etc. It’s been too long for me to remember much, but at the time we all thought, “cool” for about 5 minutes. (we were 13). This is the first I’ve heard of anti-Semite conspiracy.

Here’s my WAG: Rose, as in he rose (came back or decided to visit us sinners or whatever). Mary’s baby rose. But it’s not Mary’s baby (Jesus), he’s the anti-Christ. That’s all I got.

I think you’re demanding rather more precise measurements from the screenwriters than are reasonable. But anyway, they had cabs in 1947.

I’m pretty sure at least part of that scene is cut in the syndicated version. I might be wrong. Definitely the first part of the scene where the guy from Chico and the Man discovers Susie’s letter addressed to Kris at the courthouse gets cut.

More recently, I haven’t been seeing it on broadcast at all; it shows up on TCM, and they of course show the whole thing. But a few years ago, the syndicated version was the most common one to see.

Anyway, that’s about all I have to say on the subject.

–Cliffy

You are not alone.

Have you figured out Nocturne Alley yet?

Pssst…it’s Knockturn Alley.

And also Grimmauld Place.

And Hagrid, Dumbledore, and Sirius all have “color” names. (Rubeus=red, Albus=white, Black=um, black.) It has something to do with alchemy, but don’t ask me what.

Well, geez, I never got “nocturnally” before now. Thanks! Adding one more about Harry Potter, I DID get that the mirror Erised was Desire written backwards, or more exactly, I guess, how it would appear written in a mirror.

I knew that didn’t look right. I blame the Braves blowing their 3-2 lead in the 8th for my distraction.

THIS is what I’m on about! [/python] Don’t just say “And also Grimmauld Place, wink, wink!” without explaining. I had to take time out from my hectic doing-nothing evening to google it. Most sites made no reference to a pun… did you mean Grim Old Place?

No no, it’s “Hurts So Good” that’s about anal. Sometimes love don’t feel like it should.

Apologies to all who will now never be able to hear that song without thinking of anal sex.

I googled, saw nothing, then said it to myself about five times. I’m sure he meant “Grim Old Place.”

So Rosebud was his sled. Ohhhhhhhhhh, I get it.

And I can’t believe it took me so long to figure out what was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. It was so obvious!

Last Friday, my wife realized that the song Rapture, by Blondie, was called that because of the rap in the second half of the song.

:stuck_out_tongue:
Will you be telling us what Bill Murray whispered to Scarlett Johannson?

What was in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction? The same thing that was in the trunk in Repo Men, geez.