Odd places for red light districts

Years ago, when I first moved to DC, it had a notorious “red light district” downtown. (We used to go after bar hours and make fun of the ugly prostitutes.) It was a natural place for it to appear, being near downtown bars where guys who had struck out had a chance to “get lucky”.

But last night, I think I found one in a very rural setting. (Long story follows :slight_smile: )

I have just moved from another neighboring state, but haven’t switched over my registration and license. (This is important to the story.) I was taking a back road home from my night job at about 1:00 AM, as I’d heard there was construction on the interstate. But just as I started out, a truck started to following me. At first I thought it was just coincidence, but after 4 miles of various turns, I was sure I was being stalked for my tip money.

I was coming up to an intersection where I knew the way home from. Standing at the stop sign, under a street light, was a woman who was wearing a rather revealing outfit. But I was still concerned about the truck, so I didn’t think to wonder what she was doing there. After I turned, I saw a cop car at a closed convenience store. I turned into the parking lot, the truck kept going, and the police car started to pull out. I stopped to collect myself and make sure the truck didn’t turn around.

The cop had turned back around and pulled up behind me. I rolled down my window to talk to him about the truck. But he honked his horn (the annoying one attached to his siren), indicating that he wanted me to move along. So I left.

(After I left, he addressed the woman who was at the corner and had started to come towards my car. [I didn’t see her approaching before I left.] She told him that I was her “ride”. I’m not sure what else she told her. But he decided to catch up to me.)

Unbeknownst to me, one of my taillights was out. He noticed this and used it as an excuse to pull me over. After running my plates, he approached my window. He asked for my license, confirming my ID with my plates. He then asked if I knew the woman that was at the corner.

I said, “No.”

He then told me her assertion that I was her ride. I denied it, but perhaps a bit to vehemently. He asked why I was out, and I told him about just getting off of work, the truck, why I’d pulled in to the parking lot. But in his mind, he saw an out-of-stater that perhaps was an acquaintance of a street-walker (road-walker?).

He then went back to his car for the required let’s-delay-this-guy-for-ten-minutes-per-pullover. He then returned, gave me a warning about the taillight and that I was over the 30 days for getting my car info registered in state (I informed him that it was 60 days as per DMV. [He was a state park policeman, so he probably wasn’t completely verse in the rules.]) Then he said he’d be patrolling that area for some time to come, implying that he didn’t want me coming through there anymore.

End of story.

But now back to the subject. This woman was on a very off-the-beaten-track road. Is there any logic for picking a remote corner like this for her trade? The Park Policeman was in obvious view, so was she hoping to use the “he’s my ride” excuse in case someone did stop for her?

Here in wonderful Nevada, I pass the whorehouses everyday to and from work. They are all clustered right over the county line outside of town, in amoungst a bunch of wrecking yards and industrial stuff. You can go get a new fender for your Plymouth and a blow-job in the same trip.

Dammit! I have somehow become drunken without my knowledge or involvement!

Here in wonderful Nevada, I pass the whorehouses everyday to and from work. They are all clustered right over the county line outside of town, in amoungst a bunch of wrecking yards and industrial stuff. You can go get a new fender for your Plymouth and a blow-job in the same trip.

Dammit! I have somehow become drunken without my knowledge or involvement!

When my first wife and I were going to move to Denver, we went apartment-hunting by walking around the Capitol Hill neighborhood. (This is a residential neighborhood.) We saw one house where the front door was open, so we thought we’d just walk up and ask if there were any apartments available.

Nobody on the first floor. We walked up to the second floor. In a room whose door was open, a woman was lying on a bed, smoking, alone. We asked about apartments. In a voice somewhat gritty-sounding from too many cigarettes and liquor, she said, “You don’t want to be here. This place isn’t for you. You’re nice people.”

What a coincidence. My first encounter with a prostitute was in the Capitol Hill area of Denver when I was 16. Some friends and I were walking east from the Masonic Temple to the Capitol in the morning, so the sun was in my eyes. We walked past a working girl standing by an alleyway, but I hadn’t really noticed her. As we passed her, I smelled her perfume (enough to gag an elephant). I turned to see a rather buxom black lady barely squeezed into a red halter and hot pants outfit. She gave me a little wink, and a little scare as well.