Of Eggs and Microwaves

No, I dont want to know if old eggs are better for peeling than new eggs. And I dont want to know how to stand an egg on end, all I want to know is can I safely microwave an egg? My friends say no, even though it says right on the lid of the eggs that they’re pasturized to FDA standards. I thought this meant you could eat them raw. Surely if you can eat them raw they’re ok to eat slighlty undercooked. So, tell me for certain, can I nuke 'em without fear of dieing from some crazy strain of bacteria?

Microwaving an egg in the shell is pretty likely to result in the egg exploding. I’ve heard rumors that it’s powerful enough to blow the door off the oven, but I doubt it’s quite that bad. Nevertheless, it’s sure to make a mess. I’d crack the egg in a dish before cooking. The come out just fine that way, if a bit rubbery. Eating raw or undercooked eggs carries a risk of cotracting salmonella, an unpleasant, if rarely fatal, food poisoning.

I didn’t mean to imply that they were still in the shells, I may not be able to cook, but I know better then that. So if I can still get sick from them, what does the pasturized part mean? And why does it say I can eat them raw? Could I eat them raw and take them to court when I got sick?

They’ll cook fully out of the shells in the microwave, so it shouldn’t be an issue. Pasteurization certainly reduces the risk of salmonella considerably, so if you must eat them raw, it’s relatively safe to do so. Personally, I wouldn’t.

The yolks cook at a different speed from the whites, so it’s a little tricky. I used to do this for breakfast a while back, but I don’t remember the numbers. Anyway, I’d PAM a soup bowl, and fork-whip a couple of eggs in it. Nuke it for x minutes, mix it up again, nuke it for x minutes. Your microwave owner’s manual probably has the numbers.

I don’t recall ever seeing a package of eggs marked as pasteurized, and according to this site, eggs are not among the products that *can be *pasteurized. This is no surprise, since the pastuerization process involves heating, which would cook the eggs.

So to answer your question, you can microwave eggs. But as for eating them raw a la Rocky, since they are almost certainly not pasteurized, you are at risk for salmonella.

I don’t happen to know how serious that risk actually is. I imagine Googling on salmonella would get you plenty of info.

Wrong, dude.

Scrambled eggs cook up nicely. Just remember to stop the cooking while the eggs are still a bit wet or they will come out rubbery.

Pierce the yolk, more than once, to cook them without mixing. Unpeirced yolks explode with a mighty force and coat the inside of the oven.

Scrambled eggs cook up nicely. Just remember to stop the cooking while the eggs are still a bit wet or they will come out rubbery.

Pierce the yolk, more than once, to cook them without mixing. Unpeirced yolks explode with a mighty force and coat the inside of the oven.

Sorry about that.

Microwaved shirred eggs…

Take one egg cup per egg desired, place 1 tbs butter or mar. in.

mic on high for about 30 sec, or until melted C

rack one egg in each cup. Pierce yolk with fork. COVER WITH PLASTIC WRAP

Mic on high (I usually do 2 minutes for 2 eggs, less if you like them runny)

Serve on toast.

One of my favorite breakfasts.

I have a device from a kitchen supply store for cooking eggs in the microwave. It’s basically a flattened sphere that hinges open and locks shut, with a hole on top for ventilation. You crack the egg into the bottom half, add a small amount of water (1 tsp I think), close it, and microwave for about a minute. It looks like a fried egg but it’s closer to boiled. Works well for putting eggs on a bagle or toast.

Microwave eggs explode because of steam bildup inside the shell.

Grammer and spelling subject to change with out notice.

Microwave eggs explode because of steam bildup inside the shell.

Grammer and spelling subject to change with out notice.

Or inside the yoke membrane
(you know the story about hamsters and submit buttons.

I’ve (intentionally :slight_smile: ) microwaved an egg in it’s shell. It was really boring for, in our case, 2 minutes (UK medium egg, 650 m/w). Then there was a huge whump, although not one that threated the door as far as I could see. Then a rather unpleasant smell, a bit like rotten eggs.

It was a real bitch to clean up though, so it’s not recommended :slight_smile: .

Amatuers! Put the egg in the shell on a paper towel, place a glass over the egg, set on high. Voila! Exploded egg without a mess!

And I third or whatever scrambled eggs in a bit of butter, they are quite edible for something cooked in a microwave. Bacon on a rack is also edible, so these two work out well, but cooking them at the same time is too tricky for me when I’m in the breakfast state.

As someone once said, I grow wiser every day, to my extreme mortification.

Thanks, Q.E.D.