Office pot-luck. What to bring?

Tomorrow we’re having a potluck lunch at the office. I have no clue what I should make. I have maybe two hours of time tonight to work on something. I don’t own a crock pot, and so probably won’t be able to make anything that needs to be served warm.

Any thoughts? What do you bring to your holiday pot-lucks?

If you have a microwave, you can do a hot crab dip. It’s always a hit at parties. And very easy to make.

http://www.fishermansexpress.com/hot-crab-dip.html

I’d leave out the potato chips. Mmmm…deee-lish!

Deviled eggs.

I usually make a bunch of devilled eggs for things like this.

I hear devilled eggs are good

I like to bring my favorite salad since pot lucks seems to be low on green food (except for the dreaded green been casserole and don’t even get me started on that)

Hearts Salad

1 can salad cut hearts of palm
1 can quartered artichoke hearts
1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cucumber peeled, quartered lengthwise and cut into bite sized pieces

put all of the vegetables into a pretty serving dish

1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
splash of balsemic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove of garlic crushed
fresh basil and tarragon to taste (you can substitute dry too)

add the above ingredients to the vegetables and mix well. Tastes better if it sits so the flavors can blend. I’ve added chunks of mozarella and slices of onion to this dish or even crumbled bacon or chunks of proscuitto.

No cooking, just assembly. Very quick and very delicious.

Or you could just make devilled eggs :smiley:
btw, you have to drain the liquid from the cans of hearts of palm and artichoke hearts (you probably guessed that but I thought I should mention it)

I made macaroni salad last time.

Are you people mocking my deviled eggs? I happen to devil the dickens out of an egg. :stuck_out_tongue:

Pick up some L’il Smokies or other bite sized cocktail sausages. Put 'em in a bowl, and pour honey over them and toss to coat. Take 'em out, spear each one with a toothpick and arrange on a tray. Sprinkle the whole shebang with sesame seeds - toasted if you’re feeling fancy.

Costco sells a pretty damn good broccoli salad with everything included in their produce section (in the little cold room). It’s got bacon bits, toasted soynuts, sunflower seeds, I think dried cranberries and a packet of a ranch-type dressing, as well as shredded and florets of broccoli. Just mix it all up and put it in a bowl.

My new favorite “fancy” hor’s d’oerves that isn’t: Cream cheese or neufchatel cheese with mango chutney or spicy mango preserves poured on top (other preserves work as well, but the mango are my favorite and sort of exotic). Serve with those English crackers in the long box. Everyone thinks it’s an expensive soft French cheese!

Or, this might be sort of out there, but I wonder if deviled eggs would be good. :smiley:

I recommend eggs mimosa.

That out of the way, one easy no-bake option is a creampuff-like dessert that is easily made from Stella Dora cookies. I think the recipe is right on the package but, failing that, it’s also any number of places on the web. example

Rice.

Personally, I’d hard boil a bunch of eggs, cut 'em in half, scoop out the yolk part into a bowl, mash it with a fork, add some grated onion, mayo, a dab of mustard, salt and pepper, then refill the whites with it. A sprinkle of paprika over the top makes it very festive looking!

You could bring goose, but it’s kinda greasy.

Everybody I know loves this recipe. It’s always a hit at potluck dinners. Everybody will want the recipe.

Schwarties Potatoes

You probably would want it to be somewhat warm.

It’s a crazy idea, but it just might work!

Wouldn’t it be easier if they came up with a name for that?

Here’s an incredible dip everyone but people with nut allergies always loves:

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons liquid from salad (green) olives
½ cup chopped Pecans
1 cup salad (green) olives, chopped

Combine cream cheese and mayonnaise, mix well. Add liquid, mix. Fold in Pecans and salad olives. Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.

Make it tonight so it cools and stiffens some overnight. It can all be made in a food processor if you have one. It seems so simple but it tastes amazing. Serve with mild/less flavored vehicles like stone ground wheat thins, plain pita chips, bread cubes.

So when you “cut 'em in half” would that be length-wise or top-bottom? If the latter; how do you get them to stand? Do you have to cut a flat part on the bottom?

I made spinach artichoke dip for tomorrow’s office gathering. I’ll heat it up in the microwave and serve with my cracker of choice, Stoned Wheat Thins.

Just in case I’m not being whooshed, doesn’t everyone own one of these? OK, I don’t but it’s next on my list.