Oh, bullpucky. Wish me luck?

I can’t believe I’m whining like this. Tommorrow I have the big “grand opening” of the construction project from hell. It has eaten most of my stomach lining and all of my altruism.
Let’s just say it’s been awful:

• the architect went bizarre
  • then the architect died
  • every damned structural problem happened
  • the bronze “bigwig” placque got lost
  • they found it; and the Mayor’s name is misspelled
  • the string ensemble got the flu
  • the senile major donor is having a snit because he forgot he was invited
  • the electricans decided to repair the worst lighting problems 2 hours before the Opening.

I’m a jittering, twitching wreck. Hey, this is Mundane and Pointless, but you folks here have gotten me through some damned dark days.

Really pointless, but wish me luck, okay?

Veb

oh. my. god. Is this real, or did you just string together a list of all the Basil Fawlty-type problems you could think of? If it’s real, you have all my sympathy, and I’m never going to complain about having a bad day again.

Well not for a while anyway.

Good luck! Sounds like you really, REALLY need some!

Best!
Byz

It’s real.
All of it, and more.
It’s real and it’s now, but I’m trying to persuade myself it isn’t crucial, right? Good work is its own reward…
So I’m worrying that my drunk Ex doesn’t show up with his Bimbo Du Jour, agonzing that everything I own makes me look like a HumVee, and there will television cameras.

Shoot me now.

Totally losing it,
Veb

Break a leg, Veb! I hope it goes well! After all that stuff, it can only get better!

Heya Vebbie.

Just…make sure you have a nice bottle of wine and a full pack of smokes to come home to, ok?

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

That would make a great opening speech if you could soften it a bit. people would really laugh, hopefully.

Well, they’d laugh or die. Either way, you are off the hook…

I can sympathize. I did a construction project once. Exactly once. Never again. I moved my company’s headquarters. It mostly went well, but the little crap at the end can kill you! In our last week:

A power outage.
A crane dropped the supplemental A/C unit through the roof and into the phone room.
The law library, uh, sagged into the bank downstairs (I told those schmucks we needed more steel there, but no, no one has to listen to the stupid project owner).
ATT ran out of shielded twisted pair.
There was a major scandal in the Buildings Department, and most inspectors were suspended.
Our company got sued for >$1B.

But you know what? It all worked in the end. We’ve been happily in the space for 10 years now. I’m sure the same will apply to your case. Just duck for the next few days (literally in our case, the electricians weren’t done, so there were butt cracks sticking out of the acoustic ceilings for a week). Then you can hold your head high over your accomplishment.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

At least the building didn’t fall down around your ears.

There’s always a silver lining…

Yet…

Catrandom, looking on the bright side

Hey Veb,

I’m keeping my fingers, toes, arms,legs and eyes crossed for you ! Good luck !

Ayesha - Lioness

There are two solutions to every problem : the wrong one, and mine
(Thomas A. Edison)

Good luck Veb, and remember: after all of this you’re going to have a GREAT story to tell the next time the Chicago Dopers get together :slight_smile: