Oh say can you see .....

At the twilights last gleaming.

Whose broad stripes and bright stars…

Should we be standing while reading this?

I would like to humbly beg forgiveness for juxtaposing some key words in my last post. That’ll teach me to post lyrics while listening to (different) music.

Through the perilous fight

Well, if nobody ELSE is going to do it here goes. The punctuation will probably be off, so forgive me for that.

Oh say can you see/By the dawn’s early light,What so proudly we hailed/At the twilights last gleaming?Whose broad stripes and bright stars/through the perilous fight/O’er the ramparts we watched/Were so gallantly streaming./And the rockets’ red glare/The bombs bursting in air/Gave proof throught the night/That our flag was still there./Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly see/through the mist of the deep/ where the foe’s haughty host/ in dread silence reposes/ What is that which the breeze o’er the (couple forgoten words)as it fitfully blows, half conceals half discloses/ Now it catches the gleam/ of the morning’s first beam/ In full glory reflected**('nother phrase lost)/Tis the star spangled banner oh long may it wave,?Oe’r the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band that so vauntingll swore, that the havoc of was and the battle’s confusion/ A home and a country should leave us no more/Their blod has washed out their foul footstep’s polution/No refuge could save the hireling and slave/ From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave/And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave/O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh thus be it ever when free men shall stand/ Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation/Blessed with victory and peace may the heaven rescues land/Praise the power that hath mad and preserved us a nation/Then conquer we must/When out cause it is just/And this be our motto "In God is Our Trust/And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave/O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

OK, I probably got a few other little things wrong but if this was a test I’d at least get an A wouldn’t I?

That’s “heaven rescued land”, not rescues.

PREVIEW is our friend!
Preview IS our friend!
Preview is OUR friend!
Preview is our FRIEND!

As an exercise, we (the other music teacher and I) had the kids write out the “Star-Spangled Banner” - one student handed in this:

“Oh say can you see (shhhhhhh)
By the dawn’s early light (shhhhhhh)
What so proudly we hailed (shhhhhh)
At the twilight’s last gleaming
Whose broad stripes and bright stars (shhhhhhhh)
Through the perilous fight (shhhhhhh)
O’er the ramparts we watched (shhhhhh)
Were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets’ red glare (shhhhh)
The bombs bursting in air (shhhhhh)
Gave proof though the night that our flag was still there.
O say does that Star Spangled Banner yet way-ave (shhhhhh)
O’er the land of the free (shhhhhhhhhhhh)
And the home of the brave?”

Took us a while to realize he had written in the cymbal crashes.