Oh say can you see .....

By the dawn’s early light …

I’ll give 1000 cool points to anyone who knows this “entire” song by heart, and doesn’t have to look it up. :slight_smile:

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming?

I know it by heart, Simetra, but I looked it up anyway, so I wouldn’t screw it up and be embarrassed.

All four verses? Not just the part we use for our national anthem?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thru the perilous fight,

I’m sorry. I just can’t think of this song without thinking of Leslie Nielsen singing, “Buncha bombs in the air…”

Pfft.

I had more responses when I started “Oh, Canada” on 1 July last year :stuck_out_tongue:

I still get the urge to stand at attention whenever I hear this, be it in a bar or at home [sub](who says the Marines aren’t good a brainwashing?)[/sub]. I get shivers at the “home…of the…brave” part, too.

Play ball!

Yes, I know all 4 verses, I just don’t have the time right now. :slight_smile:

Isaac Asimov (and others, I believe) used our national anthem as a plot device in a whodunit short story. They were looking for a spy. They figured it out when he knew all four verses to “The Star-Spangled Banner” – something no true American would ever know.

There’s something about “their footsteps foul pollution” in there somewhere.

Another fragment recovered:

And conquer we must
When our cause it is just
And this be our motto,
“In God is our trust”!

Here ya go, complete with MIDI accompaniment.

Be sure to stand at attention, with your cap over your heart, while reading it.

Ey, Jose, can you see?

No, maign!

Happy 4th all.

Okay, ya got me. I’m not THAT big a geek. Except that I think I vaguely remember the Asimov story that pluto referred to…that probably makes me a pretty big geek all on its own…

Lord, that was pathetic. Where’s your national pride? Lets try that again.

Oh say can you see…

By the dawn’s early light…

by the dawn’s early light

What so proudly we hailed …

By the twilight’s last gleaming