Oh, You Didn't Want a Swastika-Decorated Handbag?

It may be ugly, but they’re trying to cash in on that “folk embroidery” theme that’s fairly popular right now. Personally, I don’t think the piece was offensive, as it was scattered into the other designs as another “random” bit in a sampler pattern. I wouldn’t shop around with that particular bag, but one with embroidery themes more suiting to my tastes wouldn’t be so bad. I’m just not that into bicycles and giraffes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Manwoman still has much work to do.

Except, she returned the item to the store and got a refund, and AFAIK eBay prohibits the sale of Nazi-themed merchandise so by having the bag declared Nazi she makes it eBay-ineligible.

Other than that, it’s the perfect plan.

It’s true. There were some in my old school, but the school was built in 1922, before the rise of the Nazis.

Agreed with whoever said that the bag is not attractive. That thing is fugly, swastikas or no.

Virtually every neighbourhood map in Japan has swastikas to indicate the location of shrines. Can’t say that I’ve ever noticed vegetarian restaurants to use the symbol, though.

It’s in my book of traditional quilt blocks under a bunch of names, including something like “Hammer of Thor”.

IIRC there are ruins of an ancient synagogue in Israel (or the OTs) that have mosaic swastikas on the floor. Those ancient Israelites were so 2007!

Sadly, no, not only.

The Swastika: Symbol Beyond Redemption?
Great book.

And the third, which I imagine is most of us, understand it both ways.

No, they do not use this in Japan that way.

A story like this is incomprehensible to me. “OMG! A SWASTIKA!”

Jesus, I see swastikas all the time. My dry goods cupboard is full of swastikas. I buy a lot of vegetarian items that come in from asian importers, it’s gonna happen. (“AAAH! HITLER WAS A VEGETARIAN!”)

I have this print in my bedroom. If you look closely, the soles of Krishna’s feet are detailed with scores of tiny swastikas. Yes, my house is loaded with swastikas. I guess I’m terribly anti-semitic, or something.

They’re all over the place here. I don’t think that means we have any more “race hatred” than the next place.

To get your knickers twisted about a use of the symbol that is obviously benign in context is ridiculous. The silly bint should open a book (or look out the window) once in a while.

Sorry for the nitpick, but temples (Buddhist) get ID’ed this way on maps. Shinto shrines are usually shown with torii gates.

Curse you! I realized that as I was cooking dinner, but it was too late, and I hoped no-one would notice.

In revenge, I must tell you that I recently showed someone that series of pictures of you drinking the 1L cocktail at the Hub Pub. Naturally, some of the pictures from establishments visited later that evening were in the same folder. :smiley:

Ah, you beat me to it. Here is a Google map with swastikas all over it.

I used to live in China, and my friend there used to wear a Swastika on a necklace. It was reversed and had no connection to the Nazis to her, but I always found it funny.

I always wanted to take a photo of me with her and mirror it in Photoshop, but I never had the nerve and she rarely wore the thing. I suspect someone filled her in that the foreigners might be offended by it.

The Master speaks.

Like it or not, old Hitler and his cronies have poisoned this symbol so badly I don’t think we’ll ever be able to reclaim it. In this case, however, I don’t think the swastikas are the problem. It’s just a really ugly purse. Why are there two giraffe butts on the front of it?

Apparently, smart enough to get a job as a buyer at the company that sells the bag.