Ohio death row inmate sings "Too Fat Polka"

I agree. The 22 years in prison were an unreasonable burden upon the taxpayers of Ohio. One case review should have been sufficient before carrying out the sentence, such that this piece of shit should have been gone two decades ago.

Unfortunately, no matter how evil the crime, some weepy fuckstick like you comes in babbling excuses. He was abused. Mommy spanked him too roughly. Daddy made him eat beets. The gym teacher said his peepee was little. Blah, blah, and fucking blah.

By who, the guards? No physician would take part in an execution. They are there to confirm death only. They do not administer drugs, or put in IV’s, or anything that would enable the execution.

Heaven forbid we should aspire to greater humanity than a double murderer.

This from about 5 years ago:

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AMR51/101/2003/en/dom-AMR511012003en.html

I don’t believe in the death penalty for anyone, but I certainly don’t believe in it for an abused drug-addicted teenager.

The point is what Vetbridge said.

If we’ve agreed that Cooey is on the “Evil! Evil! Kill!” side of the parabola, then there are a number of ways to provide him with the painless death he doesn’t deserve without spending more money on this asshole’s appeal instead of the disadvantaged kids who are rapidly becoming next year’s rock-throwing, dishonest, raping, torturing, murdering, whiney, sob-story shitstains.

Is that the same point you were making?

ETA: Fear Itself IIRC, they have a trained phlebotomist install the catheter to administer the drugs. Doing a cut-down to place the catheter is not that much more complicated. I’ve done several myself on cattle.

If I’ve been misinformed, please tell me.

I’m pretty good at venipuncture, and would gladly offer my expertise to the state. I’d even waive any fees; or donate the money to the survivors or their chosen charities.

The American Medical Association (AMA) and the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) are both on record as being against their members assisting in executions. I don’t know what body governs trained phlebotomists, but I would be surprised if they did not also believe that assisting in executions violates the basic ethical foundation of medicine; “first, do no harm.”

I am satisfied that you, as a veterinarian, would not be violating any medical ethics. However, I doubt any state would like to be labelled as the one that uses vets to put down their death row inmates.

Don’t you have to take the Howlocratic Oath or something?

I admit to being completely mystified how we can readily and painlessly end an animal’s suffering through euthanasia, but the comparable procedure in the case of a condemned murderer is equated to torture.

Cite? In Oregon, for one example, the catheter(s) (one primary, one back-up) are placed by medidally trained individuals.

Just saying, I’d happily offer my help.

Because none of the other animals start stomping their hooves and bleating nonsense about how mean Farmer Brown was to Bossie when she was just a calf.

See, this is where chain gangs would come in handy. It’s hard to stay fat and flabby when you’re pounding rocks.

That it would be a public relations nightmare to equate inmates with animals to be euthanized? As a death penalty opponent, I sincerely hope you can convince a state to take you up on your offer.

That is rather vague as to the medical training of the staff that conducts the execution. Any medical professional would find themselves at odds with their governing body, though I suppose one could learn the basics from Wikipedia. I would be interested to know more.

No, that executions are not currently done by veterinarians. Would you know if they were? Do you know the specific training of the individuals assisting in executions? Neither do I.

A lot of locals have offered to buy him some SlimFast. The firing squad idea has come up, of course, as has hanging: that’s when a little extra weight doesn’t hurt.

I used to have no issues with the death penalty. As I’ve gotten older, I have become – as Vinyl Turnip put it “albeit somewhat waveringly—philosophically opposed to the death penalty.” This is where I waver. Remembering that horrible crime and those two poor girls so close to my own age makes it very hard to say something like, “Well, he had such a bad upbringing that led to his bad decisions. He doesn’t deserve to die.”

I had a terrible childhood myself – nothing like described above, but pretty bad – so I do have some sympathy for him in that. But he is not now trying to evade death based on the circumstances of his life. He is trying to evade death because he believes it would be too difficult for the state to carry out the penalty it has chosen to impose. Next thing, he will sue the state for allowing him to become obese.

I disagree with the OP’s suggestion to “wean him off the Topamax.” I take Topamax to prevent migraines and if he needs it, to discontinue it would not be humane. They can wean him off the chicken-fried steak, instead.

If the state wishes to execute him, they can find a way to do so.

If the AMA is anything like the AVMA, there’s a lot of space between something they publically disapprove of and something they’d punish one of their members for doing. Also, membership in the AVMA is not required to practice veterinary medicine. Where’s Quadop?

It’s about time. The sooner we kill this raping murderer asshole, the sooner the two people he killed will spring back to life.

Frankly, I’m amazed it’s taken this long.

It is certainly something I will investigate. A gold mine for our side if you are right.

One thing I did locate was this, from the website of the American Veterinarian Medical Association:

AVMA Animal Welfare Principles

Kudos if you can do a cut down preceding an execution that minimized fear, pain, stress, and suffering.

Principles of Veterinary Medical Ethics of the AVMA

I would be interested in your opinion of how a veterinarian could establish a VCPR with an inmate.

How hard is it to put in an IV, anyway? Couldn’t any reasonably dexterous person learn how in a week or so of training?

Personally, I think you should just stick him in a chamber and pump the air out. He’ll faint and die pretty quickly and easily. You just have to leave in him for ten minutes or so to be completely sure.

'Course, not all abused drug-addicted teenagers are murders, nor have all murderers been abused drug-addicted teenagers.