Ohio performs the first humane execution (finally)

Can I ask why you think that asphyxiation is the most humane? Gasping for breath? Watching your field of vision slowly close to a point before you black out? Sounds like torture to me. Mrs Bori was a lab toxicologist for a time. They would kill rabbits by putting them in a plastic trash can and pumping in CO2. Asphyxiated them nicely…but the screaming…ug.

Narcotics to the point of heart and/or respitory failure (see elephant felling).

Why not just put them under, and remove all of their organs while they’re heavily sedated, that way people get the organs for transplants?

one of the gasses that makes you sleepy til you pass out, not one that makes you screamy til you die.

I’ve always kinda wondered why it wasn’t an overdose of sedatives. Flood the body with them. You might even be able to use the organs (sorry Larry Niven) if the organ itself didn’t contain a fatal does. I’ve often thought that many “botched” executions might be intentionally botched by sadistic executioners, like the villain in The Green Mile.

This is the whole crux of the problem…it isn’t finding a humane—as in quick and painless—method of death that’s that problem, it’s finding a method thats pretty.

There is a story about Sun Tzu’s military demonstration to the king of Wu which I’ve always been fond of, and which I think applies to this situation…that or the bit in Apocalypse Now about “getting off the damn boat.”

Wait, really? Did you even read the thread in the slightest? :rolleyes:

An overdose of sedatives is exactly what’s being used here. A massive overdose of sedatives. I strongly, strongly doubt that botched executions are due to sadism - rather ignorance and a lack of proper training.

The urge to breath and feeling of suffocation is not due to insufficient oxygen but rather a buildup of CO2. Breathing an inert gas like nitrogen clears the carbon dioxide from the blood and induces rapid unconsciousness with little distress. CO2 asphyxiation is one of the least humane ways to kill anything.

Elephant felling narcotics (well, not technically, but a sedative nonetheless) is what Ohio is now using. Fighting ignorance requires reading comprehension, guys.

Obviously 20-ton presses aren’t a feasible option since the public like neat, clean executions. Pumping them full of sleepydrugs until they die seems like a pretty good option to me.

Bah, you’re just not kinky enough for such a flamboyant exit :slight_smile:

The sad thing is, Dr. Guillotin was a strong opponent of the death penalty. He thought his humane execution machine would constitute the first step on the from-then-on-obvious path to abolishing it entirely.
Which just goes to show, the gods have a really lousy sense of humor.

Well, we arent impaling or crucifying any longer, so perhaps it is a start? And faces of death aside, we haven’t had people torn asunder by 4 horses, or drawn and quartered anybody [at least in the West] lately either…

Yes, I’m pretty much agreeing with the method. Although I’m against the death penalty.

Or, at least the French!

hh