Ohio performs the first humane execution (finally)

Like…smushing their head?

And how could either of those things kill you?

You’d think that, but it’s the exact reason the French came up with a guillotine : even a professional executioner with a big ol’ axe can cause some horrible, and more importantly non-fatal injuries before he’s done.

At least two different people in Neil Gaiman’s comics express the wish to die by being crushed by an elephant’s foot at the moment of orgasm. Clarification : the guy orgasming, not the elephant.

I must confess, as ways to go errr… go, I wouldn’t mind the Félix Faure way myself. Probably impractical as a form of capital punishment, sadly.

Which ever is more crunchy and deep fried.

Shall I introduce you to my cardiologist?

Possibly because this massive dose of barbiturates stays in the body, thus making the organs unfit for transplant?

Exactly. I’m under the impression that this is pretty much what’s going on.

Seems so. If we have something that can quickly and painlessly render somebody unconscious, and is also toxic, then it seems that we’ve found our painless killing method. I totally agree that inert gas asphyxiation is the best but I’m think implementation would be difficult. This is an excellent improvement, in my opinion.

Finding competent professionals to correctly insert the IV’s is another story.

I wouldn’t think a prisoner would be a good organ donor candidate, even if he wasn’t pumped with elephantine quantities of drugs. That’s probably what saved us the plague of organlegging Larry Niven wrote about.

The cigars, no? A good meal, coffee, a glass of brandy and a cigar: it’s a classic.

Wouldn’t it be the most utterly foolproof way to guarantee that the person is 1) dead, and 2) will never feel a thing? After all, no brain, no pain.

Dammit, why do those two words have to rhyme? :smiley: Now I seem both macabre AND cheesy.

Can an execution ever really be humane?

20 ton stamping press … nothing left but red mush. Last one I worked with was amazingly FAST. From locked in the up position to WHAM in a fraction of a second. There is a reason large presses are caged off :eek:

I think they tried that but they guy just kept putting his thumb up saying “nobody’s home” and it failed.

please be Dick Cheney, please be Dick Cheney, please be Dick Cheney

[reads thread]

DAMMIT!

Does anybody really know what time it is?

I believe it is actually a line from Pet Sematary II.

Call me a naysayer if you like, but I can see it being really difficult to get off while trying to ignore the very literal elephant in the room… :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, c’mon there’s nothing humane about killing someone. If you’re going to kill the poor bastard, just kill him and be done with it.

I say make them fight to the death gladiator-style, a la ancient Rome. I’m serious now. State-sanctioned murder is still murder, regardless of method. At least this way, the inmates get a chance at survival.

Put a .38 to the base of the skull, right where the spinal cord goes up into the brain. Pull the trigger.

It’s the cheapest, most humane method available. Turns them off like a light.

Unfortunately it is not politically correct to do that … it might hurt the delicate fragile psyche of the executioner. :dubious::smack:

There are a few people on death row I could do that to. There are some people out there that are absolute monsters that really need to be taken out of the world. Though I still say a 20 ton stamping press would work a right treat.

Exactly, Nicolas Jacques Pelletier was supposed to be the first in what ended up being a very long string of humane executions.