Oil and Water do mix????

High enough in outer space where gravity is extremely minimal, oil and water do mix. These are the words of my friend fondly called the astronomical nerd.

If the above is true, how does this occur?

In outer space, water is no longer heavier than oil, according to some sites. Therefore, it mixes.

The hydrophobic nature of oil is unchanged by gravity, so you still get an emulsion in space. The unimportance of density differences between the two fluids will slow down the breakdown of the emulsion relative to what happens on earth, but surface tension at the water/oil interface will still drive the emulsion towards breakdown and separation of the fluids.

If you shake it enough, oil and water will stay mixed.

This is how “homoginized” milk is made.

There are other mixtures, like mayonnaise.

Even though my two examples contained additional proteins, this is not a requirement. Pure water and pure oil of any kind will work.

From BadChemistry.com:

Try this at home:

Okay, so “mix” is the operative word here. But just make sure to note that oil most certainly is attracted to water, and if it weren’t for the much stronger attraction between water molecules, you would end up with a single phase mixture. I don’t see what gravity has to do with any of this. Get your friend to explain him/her/itself.

Attrayant and the rest of you: One of the joys of the SDMB is to read some excellent answers to a posed question. Thanks for the information.