OK, Dems. What's the Plan? Affordability

The Democrats are ruinning in the mid-terms largely on a platform of affordability. However, I haven’t seen many specific proposals. What could they realistically do to address affordability if they win a majority in the House or Senate?

Stop tariffs. Strangle Trump’s ability to continue the war. Those are the main things that got us into that mess and those are things they can actually do something about.

That doesn’t have to be the whole plan but I think it’s a good start.

Plus, they can put through whatever other bills they want, and see if Trump vetoes them. If he doesn’t, then they get the bills they want, and if he does, it’s great political fodder to point to Republicans as the problem.

Exactly. Both are things which, by law, Congress has the power to do, but the current, GOP-led Congress has rolled over to let Trump do whatever he pleases.

Widespread labor reforms to encourage unionization and make criminal prosecution of union busting, union obstruction, and wage theft the DOJ & FBI priorities?

Maybe they can use repurposed ICE goons to bust management heads?

I can also think of a lot of ideas, but which ones are they actually saying they’ll (try to) do?

This…

[slash] this…

Typical waffling Democrats…

Some ideas i read about-

Limiting corporate/private equity purchases of homes. Forgiving some medical debt. More ACA subsidies. Getting rid of most Tariffs. Rolling back some gas taxes

Yep and yep. War Powers Act- Unauthorized military actions must end within 60 calendar days unless Congress explicitly declares war, passes a specific statutory authorization, or extends the deadline

Note that seven brave House Republicans joined to end the War. But of course-

https://www.npr.org/2026/09/24/nx-s1-5980318/senate-iran-war-powers-vote

This was in the bipartisan housing affordability billl that laat I heard was vetoed by Trump.

The bill had some good things to address housing affordability, but this particular policy would be horrible for renters. It might not be great for home-buyers even if it discourages developers to build.

Correcting myself, Trump did end up signing it.

https://www.cnn.com/2026/07/11/economy/new-housing-affordability-law-heres-what-it-means

Part about the investor-purchasing of homes:

The law includes a first-of-its-kind limit on these kinds of purchases by prohibiting any investor that owns more than 350 single-family homes from buying any more. However, it doesn’t compel mega-investors that currently own more than 350 properties to sell anything.

Are you arguing for lower prices?

If so, supply must increase for price to come down.

What is your proposal for an increase in supply?

Depends what you mean by “address.”

Some ideas already in the thread address it, in the sense that Congress can pass relevant laws that Trump can veto. So then the Democrats can truly and honestly say they addressed it, and blame Trump for high prices.

In theory, under the War Powers Resolution, Trump has to end a war after 90 days (60 days plus he can get a 30 day extension) if Congress does not pass a bill authorizing the war to continue. So in theory, on day 91, we are out. There is nothing Trump can veto if Congress did not pass a declaration of war or other authorizing legislation. That’s the theory. I do not think it ever worked that way before and sure would not with Trump as president.

The thing they could do is block defense spending until Trump meets some demand related to the war. With the current policy the Trump admin is basically assuming that congress will pay to replenish all the military stocks that are being depleted rather than play chicken with the military and leave other theaters of the world vulnerable from a US military perspective.

That’s what I was referring to when I talked about strangling his ability to continue the war.

End tariffs.

We probably will see if you are correct regarding one war or another. I only wonder which it will be (Iran, Panama, Greenland, Cuba or an opponent to be named).

I can see Trump walking away because of public opinion, and then falsely saying he won. I just can’t see him walking away because it is the legal thing to do.

This is an administration that used federal funds to re-run 2024 campaign ads on NFL games and Saturday Night Live. It doesn’t matter that congress failed to appropriate the money.

Remember this:

“And then I have an Article 2, where I have the right to do whatever I want as President.”

As for the courts, SCOTUS will defer to Trump on anything military.

Some kind of option for universal healthcare would be good for affordability for everyone that lacks a Cadillac health plan employer

What one hopes the Ds will do: Repeal tariffs, hand out more stimulus checks pandemic-style, tax the rich more, increase corporate income taxes, implement universal basic income, raise federal minimum wage, do single-payer, make tips earnings on TOP of restaurant pay, not in lieu of.

What the Ds will likely do: None of the above.

Re last post, I expect to see a Democratic Party circular firing squad because of not having passed the correct affordability bills that, whichever they are, Trump is sure to veto.

EDIT: Above assumes the Democrats win both House and Senate and that GOP efforts to cheat fail. That probably will happen, but I shouldn’t have acted like it is a given.