OK, VH1, I Still DO Love the '80s . . .

Fits him perfectly for VH1. He is an annoying little git in those segments.

Memo to Michael Ian Black:

Okay. Look. I find you mind-bendingly cute. I could definitely see myself marrying that face. And honestly, I’m sure you’re a terrific guy offscreen… but.your.commentary.is.so.trite.and.unfunny.it.makes.my.colon.prolapse. HINT: Deadpan alone is not an acceptable comedic device. You actually have to think of funny things to say before it can work. Brush up on the whole “not making scablet’s bile rise” thing and we’ll talk pre-nups.

Did they just bleep the word “retarded,” which is a legitimate (though currently unpopular) medical term, and then later let some other guy say “I have a roofie with her name on it” which is 1000x more offensive?

Hey VH1, WTF?!?!

Wasn’t he the one licking a Rainbow Brite doll? Eeeew!

Did they talk about She-Ra, I know they talked about He-man in the first I Love The 80’s.

And WTF, Does Flavor Flav have on his head/face? It looks like the head gear off the show M.A.N.T.I.S.

No, that was Hal Sparks tongue kissing the Rainbow Brite doll. Michael Ian Black just stroked her yarn hair provocatively.

I noticed a whole lot more blackness in the 4 episodes I’ve been able to catch this time around. They’ve got the Hip Hop segment plus Jodi Watley and that other young chippy along with almost all of the other black commentators from the last time (the exceptions being Rerun (God Rest his delusional soul) and the sports guy with the pink eye (I liked him. Don’t remember his name, though). There’s even a tripping Flava Flav nodding incoherently in his seat!

There’s too much Eddie Murphy. Trading Places and 48 Hours-- Good. Golden Child-- Baaaaad.

I don’t remember seeing Michael Ian Black before, but I liked him when I started watching 80s Strike Back. Not so much anymore. I’m waiting for, “The Princess Bride was funny, creative, and Hi Opal!” That delivery is wearing thin.

I like Hal Sparks a lot, he’s cracking me up. And I’d never seen him before, either.

Donal Logue I know, and I think this is the funniest I’ve seen him (though I don’t think he’s particularly unfunny otherwise).

I think I’m developing a thing for Juliette Moore.

I haven’t seen the 70s or the first 80s series, so I was excited last night when I started recognizing stuff (I was born in 82). Snausages, Blues Brothers, Raising Arizona, The Princess Bride, Different World (was that the one with Lisa Bonet?).

They bleeped out ‘retarded’?

I’m far from being rabidly PC, but the roofie comment just struck me as rather ugh. Especially for VH1. Granted, they seem to be trying to shake their “MTV for your mom” image, but you’d think there would be better ways to go about it.

Ah, thanks. It would help if VH1 would identify those guys once in a while.

In elementary school (late ‘80s), we had this kid named Carl who once stood up in the middle of class and announced, “I’m D.J. Snausages! Just in case ya missed it, that’s Snau-snau-snau-snau-SNAUSAGES!” in a voice approximating the Beastie Boys’ grating delivery on “Fight For Your Right To Party.” It might have been the funniest thing ever at the time.

Sorry about the Godfrey/Gottfried mix-up, widdershins. Now I see which one is Godfrey, though I still don’t know who he is.

Like others have pointed out in this thread and others, the age of the commentators seems to restrict the range of the material. Many of them would have been young children during the 80s. This may explain why they spend an inordinate amount of time discussing the toy fads and cartoons of the period. For instance, it seemed like they spent 10 minutes talking about “Gem,” a cartoon I’d never heard of, but which all the commentators in the 18-25 age bracket were familiar with.

However, I do remember the commercials for “My Little Pony” and “Glo-Worm,” even though as a teenage boy in the 80s, I had no interest in either of those things. I rather like Henry Rollins’ comments about the Glo-Worm–“if it doesn’t dispense espresso or $100 bills, what good is it for?” as he threw it over his shoulder (I wish we could have heard more of Rollins’ comments).

On the other hand, Loni Love really creeped me out when she talked about how she used to masturbate with her Glo-Worm. Who is she, anyway?

Comon’, did you not see the JAZZ HANDS!?

That was beautiful.

I want to have Michael Ian Black’s children.

And Loni Love was cracking me right the hell up.

That woman is funny as hell.

Talking about Tina Turner go ahead girl!

My favorite comment from Loni was “Hell yes I’d pose naked for $5000, I’d even give the guy some. I have credit card bills.” Hee.

Did they talk about the Supergirl Movie?

You need to pay more attention. The commentators are identified by their names in subtitles throughout the show.

Either that or some are identified more often than others. :slight_smile:

Michael Ian Black was on a show on MTV (and briefly CBS I think) called the State. He’s now on Ed.

Hal Sparks used to host Talk Soup (where he was hilarious) and is now on Queer as Folk.

Juliette Lewis or Julianne Moore?

I was born in 1979, and I remember most everything they’ve talked about. So, some of the snide comments that people who were young in the 80’s can’t remember this stuff need to stop.

I’m enjoying this as much as I liked the first series.

It’s not just remembering things from an era, it’s also a matter of perspective that can often come with age and experience. I was a little out of my depth on parts of the 70s series because I was a child during them, I remember most of the things discussed, but wasn’t in a position to look at them beyond my own meager frame of reference at the time.

I did like Toni Love’s line during The Burning Bed segment about how no man had ever hit her, but she had been choked and shot at.

My first exposure to Sonic Youth, was some of the “hip” kids in band one day listening to a tape that sounded like metallic screeching noises punctuated by some people yelling “Shit!” about every four beats. And one of the guys who was really into it trying to slam dance with the wall.

And after watching the 1989 episode last night, never mind Meg Ryan acting out orgasms, show me more of Liz Phair acting them out! Hotcha!