[QUOTE=eleanorigby]
There is a difference between being deaf and being Deaf. Apparently (I read this in TIME or Newsweek-one of them had an article) there are even some member of the Deaf community who are outraged when parents of newborns opt for cochlear implants for their deaf infants. They take this personally as an affront and a loss to the Deaf community.
[/QUOTE]
As hearing parents of a deaf child with CIs (cochlear implants), I can verify that this bitterness towards CIs is very real.
Someone in this thread said that the more militant Deaf people don’t view themselves as hearing-impaired so much as viewing the rest of the world as deaf-impaired. You hit the nail on the head, there. They’re proud of how far deaf people have come in society, and largely consider inability to hear as a lifestyle choice, but the people who think this way are deluding themselves. Sorry, but by definition, a loss of functionality in a part of the body, especially one of the five main senses, is a handicap.
The Deaf community view CIs as a premeditated, technological means to destroy their culture, somewhat akin to ethnic cleansing. When my little girl was diagnosed at birth as being profoundly and bilaterally deaf, I started a blog on the matter, and I received quite a bit of angry email because of it. (I also received a lot of supporting emails, too from people of all hearing ranges including deaf people - the only hate mail was from members of the Deaf community.)
I can also attest to the entitlement attitude. Many (if not most) members of the Deaf community are accustomed to daily governmental assistance, in the form of interpreters, tuition scholarships, job placement, and in some cases rent. All for people who, aside from their inability to hear as well as others, are healthy and fit and otherwise capable of taking care of themselves. I can see why they consider capital-D Deafness to be a lifestyle choice instead of a handicap.
On the other hand, my wife and I are doing everything we can to ensure that our daughter will take care of herself with little or no support. We were very fortunate to have gotten her CIs before her first birthday, to maximize her early age language development. We’re taking full advantage of state-funded therapy to improve her language development, to have her in a mainstream classroom by kindergarden. We can give her self-sufficiency by working on this issue early. She’s 3 years old, her hearing age is 2, but her receptive skills are are those of a 4 year old and her expressive skills are only half a year behind her actual age. She won’t need an interpreter following her everywhere she goes, she won’t have to rely on the state for her adult life.
I’m kind of rambling here. Clearly, this is stuff I intended for another post, but I think it still fits here.
I’m not a member of the capital-D Deaf community, but I am a member of the lowercase-d deaf community. The primary distinction I see between the two is that the Deaf group have chosen to allow others to pay their way, they have a worldview which artificially inflates their societal benefit (especially given their isolation from the rest of society), and they panic when something threatens that worldview. The deaf group, on the other hand, tend to be more pragmatic, having chosen to live in the world of the hearing.
Gallaudet is supposed to cater to both the Deaf and the deaf. But the Deaf, having much more to lose, ironically have the loudest voice. Personally, I suspect they’re the minority in the matter.