[QUOTE=Leviosaurus]
I don’t really have a dog in this fight (despite my participation in this thread,) but I disagree with this line of reasoning, Ripper. Though the school accepts Federal funds, it doesn’t follow that the student body doesn’t have a right to protest the boards selection of school president. It doesn’t even mean that the students are wasting Federal money by staging their protests - that’s reading into it waaay too much.
On the other hand, **Blue Willow Plate’s ** assertions don’t hold water either. Just because you don’t have a connection to Gallaudet doesn’t mean you’re not entitiled to your opinion.
[/QUOTE]
Well, maybe not. I guess I just figure a deaf college should have the ideals of the deaf community in mind, and if the current president isn’t in line with those ideals then that president needs to figure out why. I mean, that’s the president’s JOB, isn’t it? If the president’s ideals are sound, the president stays in; if they’re not sound, the populace rises up and makes that person no longer the president. If the president can’t figure out how to wrap his or her plans around the those of the populace that president deserves to be voted out, don’t you think?
Lots of non-Koreans, for example, want Kim Jong-Il out of office, but I don’t see anyone banging down HIS doors, and lots of people are spending lots of money keeping HIS people fed.
Ripper offered up $100 million as the reason why anyone else should have a say and when called on it said, essentially, “Oh, wait! That’s not what I meant!”
I think the long view is that lots of students at lots of universities receiving lots of federal dollars are pissed off at lots of administrations, but - given these two threads - Ripper has a hard on for a deaf university, and I’m not really sure why.
Does anyone have any facts and figures on how much state colleges and universities spend on people with disabilities?