[QUOTE=col_10022]
The entire history of deafness seems a bit wierd to me but I ge the impression Gallaudet students do not want to treat deafness as a disability more like differently abled. Apparently, Fernandes’ history and attitude is not consistent with this philosophy.
[/QUOTE]
That’s not supported by the evidence. In fact, her views are far more consistent with the “differently abled” view than the protesters. See, for example: Gallaudet On Line Discussion Transcript
[QUOTE=Leviosaurus]
If even a small fraction of these are true, Fernandes should have been fired ages ago. I’m surprised no one has sued. Stripping teachers of tenure without proper oversight? …
[/QUOTE]
That list seems somewhat biased and misleading. For one thing, what Fernandes did in regards to “stripping teachers of tenure” was exactly the right thing to do, which in reality was removing tenure from ALL elementary and high school teachers (not university faculty)! I mean, who ever heard of elementary and secondary teachers getting tenure? It’s ridiculous!!