OkCupid: I signed up

Speaking from personal experience, some black women think white guys in their 50’s are hot.

No, really!

I went and looked at OK Cupid. Turns out I had an inactive account from 2004ish, last accessed some time in 2009. If I can get out of my current troubles, I may give it a go again.

When I was on OKC, I once got a message from a woman who was using a picture of Beyonce in her profile.

In general you’ll want to answer more questions and look for people with higher match percentages. The more questions you answer, the more exact it’s going to be.

I’m not sure how I feel about a website that designates people as enemies.

So was it really Beyonce?

I wrote her and said, “You look just like Beyonce…” She answered,

“I thought that it looked like me. Since I am older than Beyonce, she would look like me.”

:dubious:

I don’t think you’re supposed to take it seriously. I never paid it any mind.

Here’s an interesting Wired.com article on how OkCupid’s question/answer matching system works.

How a Math Genius Hacked OkCupid to Find True Love

A lot of the match questions are kind of goofy. I could probably live with someone who is only a 50% match, as long as a half dozen or so MAJOR questions and answers were aligned: important things like religion, smoking, drug use, and kids, you know?

The rest of it is fluff.

Then skip the fluff questions or assign them lower importance. It’s set up to allow you to do that. And man, does the marijuana question come up a lot. I remember answering it once and then seeing variations on it over and over and over again as I kept answering other questions.

I used to hang out in the math building at Waterloo. Clearly, I wasn’t taking that far enough…

Bold. :slight_smile:

“You know what else looks like you? A picture of you.”

He was THISclose to being Fear Knowles-Itself.

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a perfect example of why the SDMB exists.

Ignorance Railed!

Leaffan

I am curious why you chose OK Cupid as your online dating site, opposed to some other popular sites.

I have alot of friends that have found love on-line so I wish you the best.
My advice would be, send messages, reply to everyone and don’t get discouraged.
One of my best friends from University almost gave up and was about to delete his profile when suddenly he got a message from the amazing woman who became his wife, they’ve been together 12 years now.

Funny story…on his suggestion, I checked out the site. I received quite alot of mail and received a few of messages from one particularly attractive woman. At the time, I was going through a rough patch, drinking and smoking alot , and was not emotionally or financially stable enough to deal with a relationship. To be honest, I was embarrassed about my state of affairs and thought she wouldn’t be interested in me so I didn’t pursue it.

Life went on, things got better, I met my wife, better job, I quit smoking and drinking, house + 3 kids, etc…

Then a couple of years ago, I was friended on Facebook by the girl that I have had a crush on since we were kids. From what I’d heard she also liked me, but the circumstances were never right and we never dated.
Imagine my shock when I realized she had the same profile pic as the woman from the dating site years ago and I hadn’t recognized her!
While catching up she told me that she actually met her new husband on-line. As far as I know, she didn’t recognize me either but it still haunts me. My own “dream girl” contacted me on a dating site and I passed her by!

Stupidity, Pride, or Fate? Who knows?

I’m absolutely happy with my life now, but sometimes I do wonder “What-if?”.

The moral of the story, I guess, is to explore and get to know each person, you may be surprised who they turn out to be.

I don’t know. I have no experience in any of this, and it was the first one that came to mind. Is there something missing from OkCupid that other sites provide?

It’s free, and the volume of people on it seems pretty high. With that said, I’ve had no luck with it.

The TV ads I see most frequently are for Match.com and eHarmony.com. I’m fairly sure that both charge money for membership.

I can’t recall the last time I saw an ad for OK Cupid, although I do remember seeing them at some point in the last few years.