Oklahoma City - what to eat?

Since it’s travel I put this in IMHO, though it’s food so maybe Cafe society was better. Gah I am never sure.

Anyway…

I will be in Oklahoma City for 4 days in early May for a conference, staying in Bricktown.

I haven’t been in OK since 1980, so I am a bit out of the loop. What foods is Oklahoma City known for? Does it have any specialties?

We will be hitting the El Reno Fried Onion Burger Festival right after Oklahoma City so I don’t need info on where in Oklahoma City to get a good onion burger. :smiley:

Is Oklahoma City a place I should seek out Mexican food, or is it too far from Texas? Barbecue?

Bonus points for ideas in and around Bricktown where I might feel comfortable eating alone as a woman. I may find colleagues to dine with, and i might not. I’ll have a husband on Friday night so we can venture further out that night.

It’s been 30 years since I was a regular in OKC. So this intel is very, *very *dated.

But back then the Mexican food was as nasty as what you can get in Boston today. I don’t recall any regional Oklahoma cuisine worthy of the name. Other than truly ginormous desserts even by the US’s outsized standards. The most popular restaurants seemed to be the all you can eat for $10 (now $20) buffets.

Oklahoma City resident here. There are so many options it is difficult to know where to begin. These are my recommendations based on personal experience.

Cattlemen’s Steakhouse: 1309 S. Agnew. This is a local landmark, located next to the stockyards. Don’t expect an upscale atmosphere, but they do make excellent steaks. If you go, try the lamb fries.

Leo’s Barbeque: 3631 N. Kelly. Another local landmark. This is real, authentic barbeque. Again, this is not a fine dining establishment, in fact the atmosphere may seem a bit dodgy, but that is part of the experience.

Hideaway Pizza. Another local landmark. The original is in Stillwater, but they have added locations throughout Oklahoma. I believe the closest location to bricktown is at 901 N. Broadway.

Paso Grill. 2909 N. Paso (near NW 28th and N Walker) If you are looking for a fine dining experience, this is what I would recommend. Reservations recommended.

KD’s. Located in Bricktown at 224 Johnny Bench Drive. I’ve never actually eaten here but I’ve heard good things about it. It is owned by Oklahoma City Thunder star player Kevin Durant, and offers “southern cuisine.”

Bricktown Brewery. 1 N. Oklahoma Ave. Great selection of beer, and great pub grub in a casual atmosphere. (Honorable mention to Tapwerks Ale House at 121 E. Sheridan)

Crabtown. Located in Bricktown at 303 E. Sheridan. Specializes in Cajun-style seafood.

Sushi Neko. 4318 N. Western Ave. If you have a craving for sushi, this is what I would recommend.

Toby Keith’s I Love This Bar and Grill. Another place in Bricktown I haven’t been to but I though it would be worth mentioning. It’s a theme restaurant owned by a popular country singer, if you are into that sort of thing.

Mexican:

Ted’s Café Escondido. I think the original is at 2836 NW 68th, but they have expanded to several locations around the Oklahoma City area, and now have locations in Tulsa and Kansas City. If you are looking for a standard tex-mex dining experience done well, this may be your best option.

Big Truck Tacos: 530 NW 23rd. Located in an old drive-in just north of Mid-Town, this place has a hipster vibe to it.

If you are looking for some really authentic Mexican food, I would recommend trying one of the taco trucks that are scattered throughout town. They seem to be more heavily concentrated on the south side.

Keep in mind that there are several other places in and around Bricktown that I haven’t mentioned, many of which I haven’t personally tried, that are outstanding.

Hideaway Pizza and Ted’s Escondido are two faves in my household.

Thanks - that’s a ton of options to work with!!!

OK, I did mention that one place had a “dodgy” atmosphere, but be assured you should feel safe as long as you go during the daytime. I also wouldn’t recommend going to parts of the south side at night.

It occurred to me that some of the places I mentioned are located quite a ways away from bricktown, so I will mention a few places located nearby that I haven’t personally been to, but have outstanding reputations:

Vast. 333 W. Sheridan Ave (located in Devon Tower)
Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse. 7 S. Mickey Mantle Dr.
Park Avenue Grill. 1 Park Ave. (located inside Skirvin Hotel)

Also, if you want to stay in Bricktown and really want Mexican food, you can try Chileno’s at 15 E. California or Abuelo’s at 17 E. Sheridan. In my opinion Abuelo’s has better food, although it is a national chain, but Chileno’s has more of a party atmosphere, and offers patio dining next to the canal.

For the dodgy place I will go with a companion. I don’t mind dodgy-ish places but am never brave enough to go alone. :slight_smile:

I think at least one night I will be making an effort to get away from Bricktown, maybe more if I can get ppl interested in going with me.

These suggestions are incredibly helpful,

In addition to the above…

Iguana Grill is close to downtown and serves good Mexican food. And the drinks are good as well!

S&B Burgers for some good burgers.

Cafe 7 if you will be downtown during lunchtime

Tamashii Ramen if you would like to try some Japanese Ramen.

OKC also has some of the best Vietnamese food. Tons of authentic Vietnamese/pho places, many of which are close to downtown.

Good call on the Vietnamese. A ton of them around the NW 23rd and Classen area.

It’s been several years, but I liked Cattlemen’s, and I remember it being within reach of a government employee’s per diem. Mickey Mantle’s is extremely expensive (and if you go there, don’t order the liver).