Old-fashioned things you'd like to see revived

Except that Connie Mack was intimately involved in directing players on the field, for instance motioning to outfielders etc. to station them for defense in particular situations.

It just seems silly to have someone like Tony LaRussa or another elder statesman parading around in a team uniform.

My genital toupee is styled in a fashionable mullet.

For myself it’s because I don’t trust 'em. Washer dryer dishwasher must be off if I’m going to leave over night. And then I turn off the water to the house. Luckily, that’s very easy to do.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Does it turn on the heat, or just tumble? If the latter, I doubt it’s actually using very much power. I don’t like weird options that you can’t turn off, but if my drier had that as an option, I suspect I would use it somewhat frequently.

Ah… business in the front and party… um, well, you know…

I don’t miss them as tools, per se, since objectively, a digital calculator can do the same job more easily and more effectively. But they’re a great pedagogical tool, and my students have all enjoyed the lesson I gave them.

Or, liquor in the front; poker in the rear.

Spinner racks of comics in every drugstore, 7-Eleven, and gas station.

I know… I was saying that once the position evolved into being what would be called the coach in other sports (save soccer), the managers have had a choice of which direction they’d take their outfits.

I mean, there’s nothing stopping say… Dusty Baker from dressing up in a suit except for tradition. Connie Mack clearly took the suit option, but nearly all the rest of the managers chose the uniforms.

If I had to guess, it’s because baseball is a summer sport, and nobody wants to be wearing a suit at 4 o’clock in the afternoon during the summer in a large part of the country.

I don’t even like appliances running overnight.

Once, either my ex left the washer run when he was out, or it just decided to go kerflooey, and it flooded the kitchen

I was surprised to learn that, in fact, a manager could still wear a suit. Coaches have to be in a uniform, in order to go onto the field during a game, but not managers. According to this article:

Terry Francona, who has managed the Phillies, Red Sox and Indians/Guardians, has opted to not wear a uniform top, instead opting for a pullover with the team logo on it (he cites health issues for this choice), but he’s still gotten pressure from MLB to conform and wear a uniform top.

The mind lightly boggles that a merkin is even available in mullet style.

Kudos to you for finding one.

It was probably bespoke* – created by a blind wigmaker. Or one who wished he was blind.

*One of my favorite words! So hard to work it into the average conversation.

That would be nice, but parents have become hyper-sensitized to the notion that everyone is out to steal their children. My son’s wife was the ultimate helicopter parent. Their kids weren’t allowed outside at all unless supervised. Now she can’t understand why their teen-aged daughter never goes out.

Business in the front, party in the back? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Note that Connie Mack was not allowed to leave the dugout and go onto the field without a uniform. Only medical personnel are permitted on the field without a uniform. This was the rule in the 1940s when I first got interested in baseball.

FWIW, Steven Pinker gives a similar explanation for MLB manager uniforms in Words and Rules:

Baseball managers, unlike the coaches in other sports, sometimes have to run onto the playing surface, to confer with the pitcher or kick dirt on the umpire’s shoes.

The link I posted a few posts back, from the MLB website, strongly suggests that managers, specifically, aren’t bound by that rule.

Like so? Red Green 1956 Tonka Toys Dump Truck: Original (unrestored, un-touched - literally - sat in storage/closet for over over 50 years...didn’t even wipe/dust it off prior to photos). - Album on Imgur

In fact, I can attest he did not leave the dugout and that was the explanation given. The pose of him holding a scorecard and one foot on the top step of the dugout was so characteristic that after he died there was a statue of him in that pose erected outside the ball park. Even after the field was taken down, I believe that statue is still there at 21st and Lehigh.