Old Martin Guitar - Smashed during filming of The Hateful Eight

Too late to edit: that should read “are NOT always solid” - the original Gretsches often had problematic neck joints. Brian Setzer a true Gretsch Man, jokes about them in his gear discussions and talks about how the new reissues are so much better.

What was it doing on set in the first place? They couldn’t make an authentic reproduction?

That is complete nonsense. It’s on Quentin Tarantino for borrowing something and not making sure it doesn’t get smashed. It is his side who should be footing the bill for it, not Martin’s.

Shoot! I just added it to my cart accidentally.

Are you guys going to be buddies or do I have to start a kickstarter campaign?

I love their new album and Random Name Generator is top-notch. There is a lot of money in musical equipment on that stage, at least in the guitars and amps. I’m guessing the drums and keyboards aren’t cheap either.

I’ll be there next week. I can pick it up for you.

I have a hollow body Hondo that was passed down to me from my dad. Pretty solid guitar actually. Think it’s a a later 70’s model but I’ve had it since 85.

I got my Hondo when I was 18 which is coming up on 30 years ago :eek:

It’s very beat up at this point. Both it and my Harmony need work (electrical and body). I’ve re-soldered (poorly) pots and output jack on my Hondo many times and I think it’s time to do a good job. One of these days, I’ll get a parts list together and get stuff ordered.

From what I’ve read, the plan was to use the authentic guitar for the scene where Jennifer Jason Leigh sings the song, and then cut scene and replace it with a reproduction, which Kurt Russel then smashes. The problem is that nobody seems to have told Kurt Russel that plan. So he just took the guitar and smashed it before they could tell him to stop and wait for a replacement. JJL’s reaction on screen is her actual reaction to a 145 year old piece of history being destroyed in front of her face.

On the other hand, count me in with those who think this story is overblown for publicity reasons. Filmmakers destroy much more expensive and scarce artifacts all the time. This one just made an interesting story, and it happened to get picked up by the outrage machine on the internet.

All in line with what I know, and what I think, too. The guy Robert Corwin is probably one of the biggest experts globally in early Martins - I mean, did you look at his site that I linked to at all - jeez!!! Anyway, he has posted to the UMGF website again reinforcing that post I pasted in upthread. Frustrating event, but replaceable; let’s not get our undies in a bundle…

Please regale us with examples of “much more expensive and scarce” things being destroyed “all the time” by filmmakers. Seeing as how thousands of films are made each year, your list should be quite extensive, aye? :dubious:

You mean not counting buildings, motorized vehicles of all kinds, and complete furniture sets?

If Kurt Russell got a cold one day that would be an expense. This is the smallest of potatoes.

I think that what will happen is that tarantino’s company will buy a new one for Martin.

My only concern is that all scenes have multi takes. How are we gong to know that’s the old guitar getting smashed?

How many of those are, DrCube said, “artifacts” and “scarce” how many are just plain old things that no one cares about, usually because there are plenty more?

OK go out and have a vigil. I’ll be coming out.

If a vehicle isn’t scarce to you you can give me a new jag right?

Are you DrCube?:confused:

No but I asked first…

Why don’t you just let DrCube answer the question I asked of him, eh?

?
I didn’t tie him up

I dunno, this just doesn’t sound right. I’ve crewed thousands of scenes on big budget pictures (ending a dozen years ago, but still), and every scene was too choreographed for something like this to happen this way.

Remember that the film isn’t rolling until everybody’s ready. For Kurt to have the wrong guitar in his hands while the film is rolling, some other people would’ve had to drop the ball: the Property Master, or the Production Coordinator or the Unit Production Manager, I guess.

But not Kurt. Kurt’s the last guy who’s supposed to think about this stuff - he’s an actor, and the fact that he’s able to think at all is a nice bonus, but not strictly necessary.

The mystery continues. :slight_smile:

Let’s take the quibbling to the Pit, because it’s starting to get a little hostile and derail the thread.