OLD Novelty Songs: Anyone know a good compilation?

Any Dopers consider themselves great achivists of old novelty songs?

I’d love to find a really good compilation. Problem I have collecting songs like this is that the folks who recorded them weren’t neccessarily comedy acts, so it’s not as easy as just finding the artist who performed a particular song then exploring more of that artist’s recordings.

Sure, if you dig a funny Tom Lehrer song you can buy a Tom Lehrer album and you’ll be pretty happy. But, in the case of the songs I’m talking about it was more often the case that the novelty song was the one novelty song performed by that artist, just thrown in for good measure.

I could, and have, look up individual songs on the web, but I’m more interested in learning songs, through research, that I don’t already know. The Muppet Show was always great for digging up these old songs, but if it was ever on the Muppet Show, I probably already know it.

I’m thinking of pre-50’s songs.

Examples of what I’m talking about:

“A Chicken Ain’t Nothin’ But a Bird”

“Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish”

“Lydia the Tatooed Lady”

“Istanbul (Not Constantinople)”

“Daisy (Bicycle Built for Two)”

If anyone happens to know of a compilation that has a bunch of songs that would fit well with those songs that would be awesome.

Or, if there’s a cool archivist who has a website?

Are you aware of Spike Jones?

Yep. Shoulda listed him as a point of reference in the OP. Also familiar with Stan Freberg.

The tough thing is tracking down all the “random” recordings by artists who were not primarily comedy artists.

Dr. Demento had a compilation “The Greatest Novelty Hits of All Time – the 1940s.” I don’t know if it in print (probably not), but you can find a playlist here.

I have a cd called “Mairzy Doats,” which contains the title song plus 23 others, like “Walter, Walter, Lead Me to the Altar” and “My Canary Has Circles Under His Eyes.”

How about Vintage Children’s Favorites 1926-1950?

I have another great one called Wonderful Nonsense: Fun Songs of the Roaring Twenties, but it seems to be out of print, although you can get it used on Amazon. Includes such deathless classics as “Masculine Women! Feminine Men!,” “Barney Google,” “Taint No Sin to Dance Around in Your Bones,” and “Every Night I Bring Her Frankfurter Sandwiches.”

Can’t help you with the compilation, but ever heard of George Formby?

I never knew this was an old song. I probably should have, but They Might Be Giants are just so bizarre…it seemed like the kind of song they’d write. :smack:

The 3 Stooges cut an album, which has been re-issued on CD.

Begin here–

however.

Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Random Ebay surfing has turned up:

40 novelty songs of the 70’s.

Dr. Demento Gooses Mother Kosher Novelty Songs !
I want to keep this thread active as I adored novelty songs when I was a kid and have a load of 'em on record ( somewhere) .

I need to find the Cd compliations.

The already-mentioned Dr. Demento has other collections besides those listed. In particular, he has a 25th and a 30th anniversary double album

So, I’m guessing Eve got an (unecessary) early start on her beauty sleep last night, and hasn’t cranked up the old computer yet this a.m…

Seven hours and I still ain’t beautiful . . .

“Old?” You want old? We’re talking the genius of Billy Murray, Ada Jones, Frank Crumit, Stella Mayhew! All of whom can be found on CD at http://tinfoil.com/, http://www.archeophone.com/index.php, http://www.besmark.com/ and other sites.

Songs like Fido Is a Hot Dog Now, My Little Bimbo Down on the Bamboo Isle, Everybody Works But Father, If I Knock the “L” Out of Kelly, He Lost Her on the Subway, Sister Susie’s Sewing Shirts for Soldiers, They’re Wearing Them Higher in Hawaii . . .

Not quite old enough, but Flanders and Swann’s At The Drop Of A Hat is hysterically funny. Well, really all their albums are hysterically funny.

My dear, I speak for the entire board when I observe that “beauty” would indeed be a step down for you.
BTW - love your hair!

“And all she wore was a great big jeweled smile…”

“I’ve got a bimbo down on Bamboo Isle
She’s waiting there for me
Beneath a bamboo tree
Believe me she’s got the other bimbos beat a mile.
She dances gayly, daily, she’d be a hit with Barnum Bailey
I’ll build a bungalo on the Bamboo Isle
'Cause when I go again I’ll stay awhile
I’ve seen wrecks,
Plenty of wrecks out on the stormy sea
But by heck there never was a wreck like the wreck she made of me
For all she wore was a great big Zulu smile
My little bimbo down on the Bamboo Isle!”

Rhino Records is the place to go for off-the-wall compilations. If they don’t have what you’re looking for, no one will.

Rhino produced my Dr. Demento two-disc set :cool: .

Almost forgot The Hoosier Hotshots! Your life isn’t complete if you haven’t heard “From the Indies to the Andes in His Undies.”

I know that Eve started a thread about sites with old music for download. I can’t find the bookmark right now, but I’ll keep looking, unless she comes back first.

Other than the link posted above, the only one I can think of is The Big Broadcast (pop music of the 1920s and '30s), which you can access through http://wfuv.org/ (go to “archives” and “The Big Broadcast”). It’s great for background music; not so much if you’re looking for a particular song or a novelty song, though.