"Old-personisms" that have sneakily snuck into your habits or vocabulary

Well, now, hi you fellas doing t’day?

I fear it’s only a matter of time before it morphs into “fellers”…

See. That’s the thing. Everyone does it a different way. I live with three others and everyone else does it wrong! Sometimes there is plenty of room for more stuff if adjusted, or it is over-full and things wont get clean. Sometimes someone puts a plate in front of the silverware so they don’t get clean. Someone always puts plasticware in wrong, so dishwasher water pools-up in it. If they load the upper tray too heavy, my MacGyver solution from the last time it broke will break again. If it weren’t for me, we’d have no clean dishes, I tells ya! And hey, get off my lawn!

Well, good old Nelson always kept it as fella or fellas depending on his audience. It’s how he kept in touch with the “common man”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“He was also known for a gregarious personality, though his detractors claimed his habit of exuberantly greeting people with a loud “Hiya, fella!” was a carefully calculated effort to appeal to ordinary people.”

I turned seventy recently (an age my dad never reached) so, yeah, I feel old. What I tell people is that I don’t feel like a seventy year old, I feel like a fifty year old…who’s been tossed from a moving car.

comparing prices from when i was younger and now…

I find myself saying “Back in the day…” a whole lot more than I used to.

A former department chair once said to me “You know you’re getting older when you don’t find any student even remotely attractive but some of their moms are hot!” I’ve been at this long enough that I’ve had to start saying “grandmas” because I likely taught the mothers of a number of my students. Back in the day.

I’m 44, and I’ve started doing that.

I worked at Burger King during college, and the price of a Whopper meal was about $5.00 (I don’t remember the exact figure).

Mind you, I started out there making $4.75/hour, so. . . .

I’m no teacher, but I’ve had the “Mom is hot; her coed daughter is not” thing for a number of years now. Working as I do with so many professionally attractive flight attendants it is interesting to see how my taste in generations has shifted over the three-plus decades I’ve been at this.

“Back in the day…” seems to be a larger part of my vocabulary every day. Those stories I tell from “the day” fall on increasingly bewildered young ears too. “You people did what?” seems to be a common response. Ouch. Sonny.

If someone at works bumps into me I look at them sternly and say, “Watch out there I could break a HIP!” snerk

One weird thing that I noticed recently:

When I meet people close to my own age, they look like old geezers.

When I meet old schoolmates, I perceive them to be almost as attractive as they were back in school.

I often don’t recognize people I went to school with. I don’t know if it’s my failing memory or their failing youth. 6 of 1 half dozen of the other?

Damn straight. The 90s was about a decade ago, right? I’m 37 and well on my way to being a old fart. Maybe a ‘young fart’ for now. I was (genuinely) delighted to discover recently that my generation can be labelled ‘geriatric millennial’. I’ve never felt the ‘millennial’ tag fitted me, but that one is just perfect.

Let’s call the whole thing off.

Ha. I must be older than your are. There was massive inflation in my teens. The 5c candy bar went to…i don’t remember, a lot more.

But the result is that i dont have a firm idea of what things “ought” to cost, unless i bought them last week and noticed. There was too much flux in my formative years. So i don’t do this.

I wear suspenders every day. With my 68-year-old waistline, they are just more comfortable than a belt.

Same here. I also tell people I am classic Coke. Would you want to live in a world without classic Coke?

For those of us suffering from Dunlap’s, suspenders are a life saver. So are elastic belts.

I haven’t started doing that, yet, and it’s probably a good thing. It wouldn’t go over well at all in my workplace environment coming from an old man (“just” 60, but still).

But last week I did catch myself calling a young man “son.” Luckily it was a young man on the television, and he couldn’t hear me at all (is talking to the characters on the TV another old-ageism?).

Oh, Walter. (Heisenberg?)

I don’t think so. I’ve been doing that as long as I can remember.

Is it a sign of old age that I can remember similar prior threads from over a decade ago and have searched them up for your reading pleasure?

From 2008:

From 2009:

From 2011: