Older cars you still commonly see

To accompany the “Cars that you used to see everywhere, but now have disappeared from the roads” thread, how about car models that aren’t collector’s items and should have been more or less obsolete by now, but you still commonly see?

Around here I see:

90’s Ford Thunderbirds - They haven’t made that generation since 1997 but people really seem to hold onto these and they’re in pretty good shape. I never particularly saw the appeal of them, they’re not classic like the 50’s ones, but if you want a big sporty 2-door car I guess they’re nice enough. Plus you got a V6 or 5.0 V8.

70’s Ford pickups - These seem to keep running and running as long as the rust don’t get them.

1980’s Toyota Tercel Wagons - There seem to be several of those around, I don’t know if they just stand out because of their really square rear end: http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/2/2c/Tercel_Wagon.jpg

80’s-90’s Chrysler Minivans - The boxy style, they drive around spewing out black smoke but people still hold onto them.

Ford Probes - People seem to hold onto those like the Thunderbirds.

Early 90’s Eagle Talon/Mitsubishi Eclipse - I always thought these were nice looking cars, they must be reliable too.

I still see old-style Beetles and VW buses almost daily.

Around here I see 80’s-90’s blue Volvo station wagons. I don’t know why only the blue ones survive…

80’s Ford Bronco-IIs, and I know why.

-They made a ton of them, and most of the parts will interchange with Ranger pickups, so they are easy to find parts for.

-Around 1990 the media stirred up a huge roll-over scare the killed the resale value…so people just held on to them instead of upgrading.

That reminds me, I see a lot of the older 4-door Isuzu Troopers too. The 2-doors are very rare.

I see lots of 10-15 year old Honda Civics around. They are in pretty good shape most of the time.

I still see a surprising number of Plymouth Neons, despite the fact that Chrysler retired the Plymouth name years ago, reassigning that model to Dodge.

You see a decent amount of El Caminos still. They’re not everwhere, but for an old car…

In my neck of the woods we see a lot of older model Saabs, Volvos and Beemers. (Southern New England)

Not often enough to be said to be “commonly seen” but still more often than you’d expect, I’ll see a late 50’s Chevy, most usually a 57 but also 59 Impala. A few Fords from that era, too.

Old MGB’s maybe qualify, but it’s hard to tell how old they are.

we see a lot of the older model Chrysler mini-vans around here as well. Very few of the Fords though. There’s also an awful lot of old pickups of all makes and models around here. People hold onto them so it’s actually difficult to buy 5-10 year old pick up. The owners either trade them in every other year or they drive them until they fall apart.

The surprising one is all the Geo Prisms. I guess Geo made at least one car that wasn’t a lemon.

Still see alot of pre-1982 GM Camaros/Firebirds.

Lots of VW Jettas from early 90’s are around.

Old Chevy Suburbans, from early 80’s back. I don’t know how people can afford to drive these boxcars.

Kinda helps when it’s a Toyota Corolla with different badges.

Make sense now? Not so surprising, huh?

Yeah it’s that way around here too. I guess when you have a pickup as a utility vehicle to haul stuff in occasionally, you don’t need anything too nice or new. I looked for several months before I found my nice clean 95 Ford F-150, it had just been traded in by a guy upgrading to an extended cab pickup.

I’ve noticed that these older cars are rear wheel drive, have 4wd/awd as an option , or a low torque engine driving the front wheels.

Strong FWD cars just don’t last.

I think this is the first time I’ve knowingly resurrected a zombie, but decided to since this was so close to a new thread I was going to start.

I tend to notice cars that have some significance to me - especially, cars I’ve owned. Yesterday, I noticed a
90s Grand Am
, and realized I rarely see the earlier late 80s Grand Ams, of which I owned one.

I remember when I bought that car, there were TONS of them on the road. I find it curious that I so rarely see them driving about.

To the contrary, previously I owned an 82 Cutlass Supreme, a car I still see with some regularity.

Wondered if any of you had similar examples of older cars you see more or less frequently than you might expect.

I love my 2006 Scion xB, the little box. I guess 14 years is not that much but it was the last year they made that style and they are everywhere around here. I see multiple ones on a daily basis. Some of them are business owned with advertising on the sides. And I don’t see that many of the second generation that replaced it.

I hadn’t noticed this thread was a zombie at first, and I was going to comment on the OP to say that I never see the 1980s Chrysler minivans on the road anymore, even in California, the “land that rust forgot”. But 13 years ago, yeah… Interestingly I do still see the 1990s ones fairly often even today. There’s a maid service in town that has a fleet of old minivans, including some early 1990s Plymouths.

To answer the OP’s question, it seems like the old car that I most commonly see on the road is the 1987-91 generation Toyota Camry. There are two of them in my neighborhood, in fact.

To answer Dinsdale’s question, I tend to notice the cars my parents owned when I was a kid, namely the old Chrysler minivans like mentioned above, and the first generation Acura Legend. My dad had the latter when I was a teen, so that was car I learned to drive on. You still see those around from time to time.

Seems like the most common older older cars I see are 60s-early 70s Impalas and Chevelle’s. With Monte Carlos a distant 3d.

My day had a 69 Impala. I spotted a relic right away when I saw one on a Denver street.

Weird hos there are “gaps.” For example, my dad followed that Impala up in the 70s w/ a Gran Torino, a Montego, and a Cougar - which I NEVER see.

I used to have an early 00s Toyota Sienna minivan. I rarely see thise - but I occasionally see the EARLIER egg-shaped model.

I was so proud of my daughter for buying a 90s Corolla as her first car, choosing reliability over fun. In boring taupe, with no options.

But I cursed her maturity when she sold it to me (my sporty car had just been totaled). Every day in that car sucked a little more creativity out of my soul.

And I’m reminded of that every day that I see boring tan and grey Corollas. And I swear, between Late Nineties and Early Oughts models, I’m haunted by at least a dozen of these… Every. Single. Day…