Oldest building in continious use

The funeral pyre in Varanasi (India) has reportedly been burning in the same place (and tended by the same family) for over 5000 years. It is housed in the courtyard of a building, altho I don’t know that the building has a “name”.

Funeral pyre is not a building. So it seems a couple of buildings from Pax Romana it is then.

Still, it should at least get an honorable mention or something. A 5000-year-old fire is pretty impressive.

There is not one pyre, there is many many burning Ghats along the banks of the Gange’s that are very old, but I suspect the actual buildings have been razed and rebuilt many times. Varanasi burning Ghats may very well be the winner for “place continuously used longest for religious rituals by one ongoing religion”. Which would be another very interesting question but not the one the OP is asking.

When I was working as a volunteer on a dig on a Tel in Israel, I noted that at one end of the Tel (a Tel is a mound created by continuous city habitation) was a small crusader fort, erected there because it was the highest spot - probably on top of a previously evisting, much older citadel.

That fort was later taken over by the Turks, and adapted. Then it fell into disuse. Now, it has an Israeli radar tower …

My school was built in 1584 and the original building (for 12 pupils) is still in use.

How about some of the older Buddhist Chaitya halls in India, even if stupas don’t count?
Horyu-ji monastery is almost as old as the Hagia Sophia, and it’s wooden.

Gotcha beat: mine was built in 1575, but the original building has been turned into offices.

When my grandfather died the new owners of his 18th century house had an architectural archaeologist (?) restore it. Turned out it wasn’t 18th century - it was 14th. The two chimneys were anyway, and they were holding up the entire back of the house. :eek:

Be careful, that’s a load-bearing poster.