Olympic ceremony question-Greek

That’s indeed strange. All Greek maps have a transliteration of Ecuador, usually “Εκουαδόρ”.

So what sounds do Β and Δ now make?

Thanks, Dog80. So indeed that’s how you transcribe the foreign sound of plosive-B into Modern Greek. I should suppose then that the “B” countries that are listed under the betas are indeed cases of older names that got transcribed that way

IIRC beta makes a “v”-ish sound, (maybe not quite exactly like the English V?)

I noticed also one inconsistency with the “saint” nations: the English-named St. Lucia and St. Vincent and the Italian-named San Marino were translated, into “Ágios/ágia (Greek name of the saint)”, but the Portugese-named Saô Tomé e Príncipe was just transcribed into “sao”.

In Modern Greek, the letter beta has a sound a lot like English V, except that it’s billabial (both lips together) rather than labio-dental (bottom lip against upper teeth) as in English V. Similarly, Greek phi has a billabial sound, where English F is labio-dental. (Since the difference is not a phoneme in either English or in Modern Greek, native speakers of both languages usually can’t hear the difference).

A-ha! So that’s why it took so long for my home country to appear in the procession! Thanks for the info!

According to my Greek supervisor, the sound made by Β is in fact more of a “v” sound than a “b” sound, so more “veta” as opposed to “beta”. Δ is a “d” sound.

Thank you all for answerng the questios I was “afraid” to ask! I was especially confused about the esses at the beginning and Viet Nam. Still, it was odd seeing Canada so far down the list. :smiley: