tennis
track and field (all events)
triathlon
water polo

baseball (USA)
basketball (USA)
softball (USA)
volleyball (USA)

I assume you’re asking where each sport originated. In many, there’s no set origin, since they’ve been around for so many years that no one really knows who started them.

Basketball, of course, was invented by James Naismith of the US in 1891.

Volleyball also has US origins, invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan.

The marathon’s name dates back to ancient Greece, after the battle Marathon. The story was that a courier named Pheidippides ran from the site of the battle to Athens. When they decided to have a long distance race, they named it after the battle. Its distance was officially set in the London Olympics of 1948 so the course could begin at Windsor Castle and end in Wembly Stadium.

Track and field competition go back to the ancient Greeks.

I assume you’re asking where each sport originated. In many, there’s no set origin, since they’ve been around for so many years that no one really knows who started them.

Basketball, of course, was invented by James Naismith of the US in 1891.

Volleyball also has US origins, invented in 1895 by William G. Morgan.

The marathon’s name dates back to ancient Greece, after the battle Marathon. The story was that a courier named Pheidippides ran from the site of the battle to Athens. When they decided to have a long distance race, they named it after the battle. Its distance was officially set in the London Olympics of 1908 so the course could begin at Windsor Castle and end in Wembly Stadium.

Track and field competition go back to the ancient Greeks.

Where did table tennis get started?

The way I heard it, when he arrived, he only had time to say “Rejoice; we have won!” before falling over dead. The first x-treme sport, perhaps? It’s always cooler to try something that someone else died doing.

Dang, if only you could edit your own posts here…Lemme reword that.

Dimitri: I’m going out for discus this year. Whaddayou going out for?

Spyros: Marathon.

Dimitri: What’s that?

Spyros: Running. 26 miles.

Dimitri: That’s it; just running?

Spyros: Some guy once died doing it.

Dimitri: …Cool!

Sports history site:

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/sprtindx.shtml

From here

That’s a bit confusing. Did both English and Far Eastern children play this game? Maybe so. But there’s no question that the name comes from a country estate owned by the Duke of Beaufort.