Olympics (gag) question

This has been bugging me, cuz I’m SURE I know the answer, but I just can’t put my fignger on it.

Supposedly, there was some Olympic althlete who was forced to compete for a country other than the one of his/her birth under an assumed name. What were his/her names, countries, event, and the year of the games in which s/he competed?

Was it Tony Randall?

The winner of the marathon at the 1936 Berlin games was called Kitei Son and listed as being from Japan. Actually the man’s name Sohn Kee-Chung and he was from Korea.

There are probably other examples, but this one was the most glaring. He got to run with the torch during the opening ceremonies of the Seoul Olympics in 1988, if not peform the actual lighting.

Nevermind. Found it. In case you were wondering, it was Sohn Kee Chung of Korea, who won the 1936 marathon gold under the Japanese flag, due to Japan’s occupation of Korea. He used the name Kitei Son. He got to light the torch in the 1988 Seoul games.

See this link, among other things.

Thanks to anybody who gave it a shot.

Danke, Bob.

You’re welcome. I believe that Japan, as a courtesy to Sohn Kee Chung, no longer claims him as an Olympic medalist. When a Japanese woman won the marathon in Sydney, she was portrayed as the first Japanese to ever win the marathon. They didn’t say Japanese woman.