Omelette suggestions wanted

–Wince-- Perhaps.

Maybe I simply lost my a peel.

:wink:

If you aren’t feeling starving enough for one of the robust omelettes as described above, a nice lighter alternative is to mince whatever fresh herbs you have in the garden (I usually at least have parlsey, and right now I also have tarragon, basil, chives, and thyme), and stir them into the eggs. A little minced, sauteed onion is also a good addition. I like to do one of the foldover/tipped over omelettes, French-style, as they retain a nice creaminess in the center. If you do a tarragon/shallot combination, the resulting omelette is worthy of a glass of Chardonnay on the side. Yummers!

What has already been mentionned plus the only egg product that I will eat at either lunch or dinner.

A broccoli and cheese omelette.

Has to be fresh broccoli and chedder cheese, use the flowers and a bit of stalk. Cut the rest of the stalks off, place in a bowl, and drizzle with a little bit of butter and add some salt and pepper. And eat as you are waiting for the omelette to cook. Mmmm…I want one now.

Bolding mine.

Am I the only one who first read that as “fetal”? :eek:

Reasonable hi-jack. Who likes their omlettes runny? Me, I strive mightily for an omlette that is not creamy in the middle at all but I’m neurotic about eating raw eggs. Just this side of done is how I like em. Light, moist and fluffy but not creamy. I must admit, some of the more “robust” recipes listed beg for a firmer egg finish just to hold em together !

I like a little crab (I use the tinned real stuff) some sour cream and some mozerella in a french style omelette.

I also like tomatoes, mushrooms, black olives, sauted onions, sauted green peppers, ham and cheddar cheese, in an omelette or any combination of these engredients

Another vote here for the “Greek” omlette:

spinach sauteed in olive oil with a little garlic, set aside, then cook the egg in the pan, and once the egg has set add the spinach with some feta crumbled over it. Ambrosia!

Ooh ! Ooh! You reminded me ! My Mom uses only olive oil to make her omlettes. I’ve never done this at home. Who knows why, cause it sure makes them taste purdy.

I don’t remember what restaurant I first had this in, but they called it an Albuquerque omelette. It’s similar to a Denver omelette in that it has cheese, ham, and bell peppers (and maybe onion too), but you add green chile as well. I think the tag for it on the menu was “it’ll get you to Denver.” It’s good, but you have to like both bell pepper and green chile.

I like to fry up some spicy country sausage in a thin layer of butter. Pick the sausage out of the pan and fry the omelette up in the leftover grease; add the sausage and some sharp cheese with onions and maybe green peppers. Delish!

Jurph has reminded me of something else I’ve tried. I make a whole passel of bacon. Leave the grease in the frypan. Heat it back up, make my omlette IN that grease.

Awww man that’s some tasty eatin’.

I can’t believe nobody’s said shrimp yet. I wouldn’t go out and buy shrimp specifically for an omelette, but if you’ve got leftovers from a party, peel 'em and use 'em.

There used to be a diner in downtown L.A. called Gorky’s that had good omelettes. The one I always got was called the “Siberian”. It was a three-egg omelette with sausage (the thick ones, not Farmer John’s Breakfast Links), grilled onions, grilled green and red bell peppers, and cheese. It was topped with a dollop of sour cream with a sprinkle of caviar.

Man, did I miss Gorky’s when it closed! It advertised “good food at working people’s prices”, and in the wee hours was occupied by homeless people who came in to while away the hours with some coffee. Then something happened.

Being popular with “yuppies” who would frequent the place after going to the clubs, they redecorated. The harsh flourescent lighting became more subdued, and the decor was upgraded. Then they added a micro-brewery. It’s okay. I could go at three or four in the ayem, when the yupsters headed home to bed. (I delivered the British Weekly and L.A. Rock Review papers, and so I was out and about early on Saturday mornings.) But then they opened a place in Hollywood. Rent is much higher in Hollywood than it is in the run-down swction of downtown. (Around 7th and San Pedro, IIRC.) The Hollywood location failed, and it seems to have taken the original location with it.

Man, I miss those Siberian omelettes! :frowning:

My favourite is bacon, mushroom and cheese. If you add a little spinach to that, it’s even better.

Hi Mauvaise! :slight_smile:

**Cartooniverse’s ** suggestion of making the omelet in the bacon grease is delicious. An artery-clogger for sure, but delicious.

Me, I cheat. I discovered at an early age that breakfast is important if you ever intend to sleep with the same woman more than once, so I quickly developed some stylish and interesting twists for morning meals.

I use a hinged omelet pan; it makes for quick and simple omelets, no folding, no hassle, no matter how half-asleep or hung over you might be.

A light sprinkle of garlic powder while whipping the eggs is good; you don’t wanna get TOO potent, but it does add a nice flavor.

NECESSARY INGREDIENTS:
Cheddar cheese
diced onion
eggs, of course
salt and pepper

REALLY GREAT INGREDIENTS:
sauteed onions
diced green onions
sauteed mushrooms
sliced black olives
sliced green olives
diced bell pepper
, raw or toasted
**bacon bits ** (use real bacon, not the artificial kind; they’ll get soggy)
**finely diced cooked ham ** (toasted or not)
**finely diced chicken breast
minced jalapenos ** (although you might wanna go with the mild kind)
finely diced tomato
finely diced steak
nearly any form of cheese

Mixing meats is usually a bad idea. Pick one and stick with it, although ham and bacon work together all right. Mixing cheeses, on the other hand, is usually fun and tasty.

REALLY BIZARRE INGREDIENTS THAT ACTUALLY WORK PRETTY WELL
a couple of carrot coins, minced fine (for color, if you don’t have anything else)
leftover green beans, minced fine
cooked/drained ground beef
most forms of leftover takeout Chinese food
, if you dice it fine, work very well and make for a very interesting breakfast experience
**cooked flavored rice ** (Spanish rice or Chinese fried rice is actually very good in an omelet)
**an apple, finely chopped ** (works really well with cheese, for some reason)
Spam, chopped fine, and panfried (it’s really quite good, and indistinguishabe from ham when you do this, but chop it FINE and FRY it unless you want her asking “what are the weird little squishy pink bits?”)
**shredded potato ** (although this does tend to alter the flavor, as well as bulking it up quite a bit; overdo it, and you’ve got hash browns, not an omelet)

THINGS THAT JUST DON’T WORK
peas (peas work okay in quiche, but not in omelets)
peanut butter
strawberries
pretty much any bread
or breadlike product
anything that is intended to be crispy, but will quickly absorb moisture from raw egg and grow soggy (artificial bacon bits, croutons, chow mein noodles, fried wonton…)

I like Dex’s idea of curry powder; I’ll have to try that one next time!

My typical omlettes are three eggs, a tiny splash of milk (it’s easy to overdo it, but you need a little), and a few squirts of Tabasco-type hot sauce mixed together, and filled with a couple slices worth of whatever cheese or cheeses I have around the house (typically American, though cheddar or brick is better), salsa, and pickled diced onions. If I have any ham in the refrigerator, it goes in, too.

Anyone who likes omlettes is advised to watch the Good Eats episode devoted to the same.

Some of Alton’s essential tips:

• Use an inexpensive nonstick teflon pan with a gradual curve from rim to bottom.

• Also use a hi-temp silicone flexible rubber spatula.

• Proportion: 2 eggs per person, a tablespoon of milk per egg. Maybe some herbs or spices.

• Grease hot pan with butter. Pour in eggs. Use spatula to push around the center of eggs in pan so that more egg mixture sets, but don’t disturb the edges.

• Wait till eggs are nearly set before adding any filling ingredients, especially cheese.

• When eggs are set and fillings added, fold one third of an edge over on the center third of the omelet, then side the unfolded third onto the plate. Now flip the doubled two thirds over the plated third so that you have a folded up omelet.

I used to sneer at milk in eggs, do the half-folded-over-3-egg-omlette thing, and add firm ingredients like ham or mushrooms before the eggs set. Then I tried Alton’s way…

It’s Way Better.

Good filling combos:

• Smoked salmon crumbles and sauteed onion
  • Thin sliced fresh tomato and sharp cheddar cheese
  • Avocado, bacon, tomato and cheese
  • Sauteed mushrooms and jack or swiss cheese
  • Seasoned taco meat and cheddar cheese, with salsa on the side
  • Cream cheese and orange marmalade, dusted lightly with powdered sugar (no, really!)