OMG!! "Fanny Pack" is a nasty nasty thing...

There’s a whole thread full of this stuff here

What about Fanny Farmer candies…

…ew…

I can never go into that store again.

snerk

My friend Randy uses his middle name when he travels to the UK. He got tired of the snickering when he said “Hi, I’m Randy.”

His middle name is Lou…(not really, it’s Scott, as in Randolph Scott)

English breakfasts rock!

Randy Bender

Hee Hee Hee

Well, Lob, I agree, that word is really bad LOL

Classic quote from “Test Match Special”, circa 1976 or 1980, I’m not sure which: It’s England vs West Indies at cricket and the radio commentator allegedly said:

“…for those who’ve just joined us, the bowler’s Holding, the batsman’s Willey”

(Michael Holding - terrifyingly fast bowler. Peter Willey - notoriously gutsy and determined batsman. On balance, the West Indies side of that era didn’t need any sneaky tricks to disturb the batsman’s concentration.)

That was Brian Johnston.

Frightningly enough, there is a band called Fanny Pack.

An all girl band from Brooklyn. :smiley:

That’s no fanny pack, Mr. Weisenheimer. It’s a superhero utility belt. ::speaks into fountain pen:: Open channel D, please.

<snrk> He said “merkin”. <snrk snrk>

I had some friends who had just moved to California from England and were taking wind surfing lessons at a local lake. The wife was quite shocked when the helpful instructor yelled at her; “Lower your fanny” as she was trying to get going on the board.

I made sure to very carefully explain what we call bum bags to the visiting Australian girl attending our church retreat. She was rather surprised. She said that she then told her dad, and he was more than a little shocked.

Your friend is really in trouble in England then.
Randy is bad enough
But his first and second names together are cockney rhyming slang for spot.
As in
“I’ve got a great big randoph on me gregory”
Randolph Scott = spot
Gregory Peck = neck

It does here in the US where words mean what they’re supposed to…
(I’m about to get hit very, very hard, aren’t I…)

My dad’s name is Randall Pratt [Last name here] but he goes by Randy also.

Them UK folks be weird, though… they eat baked beans fpr breakfast! They probably eat spaghetti for breakfast, too, knowing them. They also eat these scabs called “pudding”…

That was probably a gammon steak. Ham, as in Spanish jamon, French jambon.

A gamin steak would have been made from a (human) male French street kid, like Gavroche from Les Miserables.

Probably tastes like porc or poulet.

Sure, but I was quietly confident that most Dopers would blink and say “Who he?”.

The quote on the link is, I think, the wrong way round in identifying Willey as the bowler, although he could and did bowl (off-spin) in Tests. I’ve seen it written down the way I quoted it in a book by BJ himself.

Willey is now a Test umpire of some repute, and I understand Holding is one of the game’s best broadcasters.

For the information of the Dopers, Willy and Fanny are also forenames (or pet versions of the same) this side of the pond too. And until recently the South African cricket team boasted a Fannie de Villiers. :slight_smile:

Watch it girl or I’ll come over and burst all yer bubbles!!!:smiley:

Trust the Brits to drive on the wrong side of the road.