Omnibus AI Screwups Thread

It occurred to me after encountering a couple examples today of articles that weren’t written by a human being completely tone-deaf, offensive, or just plain wrong, that we don’t really have a place for collecting them and marveling at poor decision-making that went into letting chatbots try and take the place of human writers.

So here’s a few to get the ball rolling;

Microsoft Travel lists the Ottawa Food Bank as a must-see tourist attraction and recommends coming on an empty stomach

Google makes an AI to assign ads to Youtube videos, it decides not to filter which ones are appropriate for children, and breaks federal law about tracking children online

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/technology/youtube-google-children-privacy.html

Discuss and share.

There’s now a bunch of AIs scraping video game subreddit discussions to generate articles; the WoW and Destiny communities started making fake discussions to troll the scrapers, and lo and behold:

I wonder sometimes if AI has been let loose on “jazz” background music. There are any number of sites on YouTube that play different kinds of background music, and apparently one of the most popular genres is jazz. They all seem to sound the same – piano, bass and drums, noodling around, mostly sounding kind of glum and unhappy, which is not what I want in background music. Sometimes the music sounds a little off, like the piano and bass playing in different keys or something. It’s disturbing without being interesting. Sometimes I like to have background music, but I can’t listen to that stuff for very long. So, in the spirit of the day, I’ve been wondering if AI was to blame.

New Zealand supermarket chain Pak 'n Save released a recipe-generating chatbot, ‘Savey’. Trouble is, at least in its first iteration, you could enter pretty much every ingredient, and it would generate a ‘recipe’, which ran the gamut from merely unappealing—like an ‘Oreo vegetable stir-fry’—to the outright dangerous, like an ‘aromatic water mix’ which would’ve produced chlorine gas.

It was even quippy about it—‘It combines the invigorating scents of ammonia, bleach, and water for a truly unique experience!’. Or, about a ‘poison bread sandwhich’ (at least being up front about it), ‘Why did the bread become friends with the ant poison flavored jelly? Because it could never resist a toxic relationship!’.

It’s since been replaced with a version where you can only select from a fixed list of ingredients, apparently.

Had a friend in college. He was from Guam, and therefore was not going home for Christmas Break. I invited him along to spend the holidays with me at my girlfriends house.

He managed to report the night we had a stripper in the house a while back.

Girlfriend was not happy.

Goddammit, Alvin. Keep quiet about that shit!

…I’m not sure you meant to post that in this thread.

We all called him Al.

Al-------vin!!!

It’s probably been reading about this tosser.

MSN publishes an AI-written obituary calling a recently deceased NBA player “useless” and saying that he “achieved vital success as a ahead [sic] for the Bobcats” and “performed in 67 video games.”

Here’s a link I came across after reading one of the computer problem threads here. It’s starts off intelligible and then digresses into nonesence conflating “computer memory” training with “human memory” training.

One of the main benefits of using DDR4 memory training is that it can help improve your memory retention. This is because DDR4 memory is much faster than DDR3 memory, which means that it can process information more quickly. This means that you will be able to remember more information for a longer period of time.

https://vtechinsider.com/what-is-ddr5-memory-training/