Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

British judge orders right-wing extremist to read Dickens, Austen.

Thomas Hardy?? I think I might actually prefer gaol.

A teenager spoke at a Tennessee school board in favor of masks after his grandmother died of covid. People in the crowd, including the woman sitting directly behind him, laughed and mocked him. She has since apparently been let go from her job at Cigna.

She continued to WKRN: “But, it’s been used to take away our individual liberties over the last year.”

And I should be able to use my personal freedom to piss on your leg. Good luck in your job search, lady.

Alaskan state rep gets banned from Alaska Airlines and soon will have no way to get to Juneau.

Preventing herself from being able to vote might be the most responsible thing that she has done for her state as a legislator.

Yes, the mask mandate is national policy. I was on Amtrak recently, and they told us that refusing to mask up would result in a permaban from travel on all forms of public transport, meaning that Reinbold would not be able to use the Alaska Marine Highway (the ferry system that serves the lower panhandle), the only other practical way to get to Juneau. She might be able to charter a small airplane or private yacht to get her there, but that would probably break her budget.

They’d still make you read the books. But then you could write a poem about it and call it “The Ballad of Reading Gaol”.

I’ll get me coat.

Logan apologies to the bikini girls!

Then tries to save their souls.

Playing his “Get Out of Hell Free” card.

Man presumed dead after trying to leap across Devil’s Churn, a very narrow inlet on the Oregon coast south of Yachats where the sea roils and froths and the rocky sides are not at all slippery due to constantly being dressed with surf, no, no, no.

I would have thought Steve Allen died years ago…

dumbasses over the weekend …

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/mother-visiting-disney-world-with-her-disabled-son-is-left-rude-note-for-taking-up-two-parking-spots/ar-AAOmvAA?ocid=SK2DDHP

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cbs4-investigates-miami-hospital-nurse-posts-disturbing-photos-captions-of-nicu-baby-on-social-media/ar-AAOfdii?ocid=SK2DDHP

The nurse should be disciplined, but I’m not sure what the mom expects to happen (or what Disney should do about it (besides maybe designing more van accessible spaces, but at some point they’re always going to run out). I’m going to guess that 99% of the people who take multiple spots don’t have a good reason (she does), and in general the “don’t be an asshole” fake ticket is a fine reaction. To quote the ear worm “let it go”.

If you read the entire article you would have seen this:

"Proefrock said she shared the story with the goal of inspiring compassion and understanding.

“So, if you see a car taking two spots,” she told Fox 35, “maybe instead of wishing us a broken transmission, you can try to think about WHY a wheelchair accessible van in a medical parking section might need 2 spots.”"

I bet there was a handicap tag either on the license plate or hanging off the mirror.

So the person who “issued” that fake ticket is just walking around with them in their pocket?

And I’m amazed at what that nurse did; NICU nursing is a highly paid profession and her dumbass oversharing ended what is probably the best paying job she’ll ever have.

Yeah, I read that and I wish her luck on that.

No, but they may have a stash of them in their car (where they will generally be close at hand when you see the need to “issue” one). If they also were parking the medical lot, they may actually be more easily offended by people hogging limited space (and not considered/noticed the ramp).

The vehicles I see with fold-out ramps often have pre-printed stickers noting that additional space is needed for access.

I’ve been in an analogous situation, and what I did was park in two spots, unload the wheelchair and park it on the walkway, then re parked the vehicle properly. When we returned the space next to the van was vacant, but if it hadn’t been I’d have backed out, found an accessible loading zone and done the right thing. The mom was a dick.

But she was just doing what the Disney people told her to do.

I was actually going to suggest that, but have no idea how much additional hassle that would be. My particular concern would be if she can leave her son alone while she re-parks.