Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

My question is what do they mean by symptom free?

If I recall correctly the schools concern was the people could contract infertility from being in the vicinity of vaccinated person. How the the vaccinated student supposed to prove that they aren’t giving off magical sterility cooties. Get pregnant?

What I don’t get is how they plan to enforce this. It’s not like you have a “not-vaxxed” passport. And honestly, the sorts of people who would send their kids to a school like this are exactly the sorts who would lie about not being vaxxed, if by some miracle they actually believed in vaccination in the first place.

Basically, the school needs to just trust the sort of people who are the least trust-worthy in our society. Nice.

Evander Kane of the NHL’s San Jose Sharks, has been suspended without pay for 21 games after submitting a fake covid vaccination car. There is not yet a requirement that players got vaccinated, but if they do get vaccinated, there are certain activities that they can participate in if they’re vaccinated, including travelling to Canada for games,
The fake card was discovered while the league was investigating domestic violence claims made by his wife, who also accuses him of gambling on games, including Sharks games, and played so as to influence the results of games. The league said they investigated the gambling accusations, and decided that he had not.

I think that’s the point. They are pandering to their target demographic and also getting the free publicity that comes with being outrageous.

Thank God for that. :slight_smile:

This math teacher is just… so cringe. Teaching the mnemonic for

Sine=Opposite/Hypotenuse

Cosine=Adjacent/Hypotenuse

Tangent=Opposite/Adjacent

S=O/H C=A/H T=O/A

But wait! It gets even worse than you could believe! :smiley:

Part 2:

Does she go on to teach geography and have a mnemonic to remember the difference between Niger and Nigeria?

Huh. The mnemonic I use for trig functions is about Sally, Oscar, and erections.

No native-Americans involved.

Five US military veterans who were members of Kyrsten Sinema’s advisory board have resigned over her policies.

SohCahToa is “placed on leave while the District conducts an investigation.”

https://www.riversideunified.org/our_district/r_u_s_d_news/r_u_s_d_statement_10_21

We learned the “Chief SOHCAHTOA” mnemonic, but that was in 85 or so (and did NOT involve those crazy theatrics). We also learned this one:

King Phillip chases old fat girl scouts vigorously.

Again, around 85.

Let’s not forget how offensive those leggings are…

What in the heck does the fact that they’re U.S. military veterans have to do with anything? From what I’ve read (and of course I may well have missed something), their resignations were due to disagreements with her over voting rights legislation and President Biden’s “Build Back Better” initiative, not anything directly to do with veterans affairs or military policies.

I’m not singling you out, Rick_Kitchen - all the coverage I’m seeing emphasizes that they were a group of veterans, but I haven’t seen anything explaining how their prior miltiary services is even vaguely relevant to their resignations.

To me it was easier to just remember soh cah toa as though they were words. But if a mnemonic device helps, why not:
Some Old Hippie
Caught Another Hippie
Tripping On Acid
(And about the teacher- holy shit!)

Because they were military advisors.

Ok, but, again, the coverage I’ve seen (and I very well may have missed something - please correct me if I have) indicates that they did not resign over Sen. Sinema’s military policies, they resigned over her opposition to voting rights and infrastructure legislation.

So, five members of Sen. Sinema’s own volunteer, citizens advisory board resigned in opposition to her policies and positions on major pieces of legislation. That does seem significant. The fact that they happened to all be military veterans, when the policies and positions they were protesting had nothing to do with veterans or the military per se, doesn’t seem significant to me.

I wonder if they’re also Yankees fans too.

Because people who served their country in the military are, ipso facto, better than everyone else, and so their opinions are more important and meaningful than other peoples’ opinions.

…may be remembering that they swore to defend and protect their Constitution of the United States.

(bolding mine)

They weren’t part of just any advisory board, but her Veterans Advisory Council.
…[edited for clarity] … it is the reason they were hired in the first place.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/577775-five-members-of-sinemas-advisory-board-resign-call-her-one-of-the-principal

“As members of your Veterans Advisory Council for years, we’re deeply concerned by your failure to acknowledge us or seek our input. Today, we feel as though we are merely given performative titles and used as window dressing for your own image—not as resources to provide counsel on what’s best for veterans,” the group said.