Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

Ok, thanks, that wasn’t clear from the first coverage I initially saw. And their own collective letter of resignation does emphasize that they are veterans.

But still…it just seems odd to me. In their letter, they don’t protest any of Senator Sinema’s positions or policies with regard to veterans affairs or the military (in fact they praise her support of veterans). They protest her opposition to repeal of the filibuster, her lack of support of “the Biden agenda…employment, education, healthcare, and infrastructure”, her lack of support of drug price negotiation, and her refusal to vote to establish a commission to investigate the January 6 insurrection.

Which…ok, I more or less agree with them, and if they feel like they can’t in good conscience continue to serve on her advisory board, and want to resign in protest, more power to them. But I’m a veteran, and I don’t think that gives my views on any of those issues any particular significance, and I don’t think it should give them or their views any particular significance, either.

I agree (mostly).
The news media often (imo) latch onto some coincidental and irrelevant factoid about a story, but in this case the members emphasized that point themselves.
Additionally: there’s a perception in the US that the military take their duty to serve their country a little more seriously than you’re average citizen. So, if they feel they can no longer fulfill that duty, it must be something significant. It lends and air of importance to the resignation. That this is not some political stunt.
I don’t know if veterans actually do feel that duty more than others. I suspect some do and some don’t like any other group.

You must have full confidence in the VA healthcare.

Even if they could benefit from money for “employment, education, healthcare, and infrastructure”, her lack of support of drug price negotiation, and her refusal to vote to establish a commission to investigate the January 6 insurrection.”.

What?

I don’t…what are you talking about? The advisors who quit didn’t even allude to the VA or veterans’ healthcare - other than to praise Sen. Sinema for her past support for veterans. And, yeah, sure, the issues the advisors mention affect veterans, to the same extent they affect literally just about everyone else in the United States, but they just simply aren’t veterans issues per se.

Again,

But, honestly, this is just such a non-issue to me, I kind of regret bringing it up now. If you really think it’s specifically noteworthy that five veterans resigned as volunteer advisors, as opposed to volunteer advisors who didn’t happen to have served in the military…ok, I guess. I don’t really get that, but…eh.

I think those are destroyed to prevent them being sold in the US as collectors items.

Wait, so all my Olympics 1980 USA gear is rare, as well as weird?

Nope.

.https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/losing-team-championship-merchandise/

My daughter once won some crappy stuffed mascot toy at a funfair game. It was for Charleston, SC IIRC. We live in London (England).

I can’t even remember what the mascot was but I think it was outdated merch, peddled off cheaply to be used as pointless prizes.

Not with mine.

She______Can’t______Tell

Oscar____ A_________Of
Has______Heap______Apples

It might be significant because the Military is perceved as being conservative; the fact that her ENTIRE Military Advisory Board resigned shows that her actions (or inactions) are even too much for them.

Which is surprising how? The conservative idea of compromise is, “My way or I balk.”

[/quote]

I did not know that. Thanks.

In today’s atmosphere, I can imagine someone overprinting it with “They actually won. Demand a recount.” But some people wouldn’t see it as a joke.

Nonetheless, the people who know stuff have said that, according to what is in the gospels (something about the shepherds keeping their sheep and what time of year that would have been), Jesus would have been born sometime in September. That christians “celebrate his birth” (buy useless stuff) around the time that pagans were celebrating saturnalia and yule (celestial/seasonal holidays) strongly suggests that the early christain church was intent upon stealing the festivities for their own uses.

Apparel company owner found guilty of filming an ad for his company in a National Park at a time that the national parks were closed due to lockdown. Not to mention that federal property isn’t allowed to be used for commercial advertising at any time.

Not a national park, national forest service land. NPs are managed under Interior while FS land (including national monuments) is part of USDA.

Thanks for the correction.

From his company’s website:

• AKA: Lesh, Da-lesh-ay, The Criminal.
  • Hobbies: Skiing backwards, eluding police, cliff diving, mtn biking, triggering people on the internet.

[bolding mine]

You just can’t make this shit up.

It’s a couple of misdemeanors but he’s definitely a dumbass.

Two idiots for the price of none: man found with keys to a car that had been reported stolen and his phone paired with the car’s stereo. How’d he get the keys? The owner left them in the car!