Omnibus Stupid MFers in the news thread (Part 1)

The real thing starts to lose its flavor in only a few minutes.

Also, Froot Loops don’t contain real froot, nor does Chrunchberry cereal contain real crunchberries.

Instead of paying him to make the lawsuits go away, they should pay a couple of knee breakers to make him go away.

Technically, what we know as wasabi is dyed horseradish.

And I used that baby oil … but I still had a squeaky baby.

You mean that can of Crisco which shows a picture of delicious fried chicken on it DOESN’T have to contain any chicken?

Speaking of that… I’m amazed at all the packaging that has that note: “SERVING SUGGESTION”.

Sure, if a cereal box shows a bowlful of SnappyPuffs with fresh peaches and bananas on it, maybe the maker is scared that some idiot will sue because they expected big chunks of fresh fruit in the box (how exactly would that work?).

But I saw a cereal box that just showed the product in a bowl in a breakfast setting… and “SERVING SUGGESTION”.

Ok, so they were thinking someone would yell “Hey, there’s no placemat or coffee cup or napkin in this box! And where’s my European-styled spoon?”

It could be based on the (possibly apocryphal) story of Campbell’s (? some soup company) having to add back the direction to heat the product after they had removed them and got numerous complaints on their customer service line.

“Hey, Sally, how does this cereal stuff work? Do I put it on a plate, pour milk in the box, or what?”

I heard once that the import laws prohibited wasabi for what ever reason. Much like how a lot of cheese and dairy from Europe isn’t allowed in. But I have no cite, so…

I sued them because no babies were harmed in the manufacturing process.

It is o.k. to outright lie because everybody does it.
Got it.

So, “wasabi” is just a made-up word and not a real world product?

No, wasabi just has a different meaning in the US.

Order a biscuit in the US and you get a thick baked good similar to a scone. Order one in the UK and you get what the US calls a cookie.

When everyone sells dyed horseradish and calls it “wasabi” they aren’t all lying. They’re changing the meaning of the word. That’s part of what the court declared in that older case I cited in this thread.

Next you will gripe about how buffalo wings have no actual buffalo meat…

I would sentence this doofus of a lawyer to eat one pound of real wasabi (at his cost), followed by one pound of fake wasabi, and then challenge him to tell me the difference.

I"m going to sue, because it’s not made out of real horses.

No, I was “griping” about comparing a real word that refers to a real object to fake words that refer to imaginary objects. Neither “froot” nor “crunchberry” are real items elsewhere that now refer to other items here in the U.S.

Never mind the pudding.

Off-topic, but what do you get if you order a cookie in the UK?

“ If you don’t eat your meat, you can’t have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat!”

Right. Like you can still buy a bottle of California-made sparkling wine labeled “champagne” in the US, although it doesn’t meet the criteria for champagne labeling according to international law and trade agreements. The “California champagne” bottlers are not “outright lying”, and neither are the sellers of American “wasabi”.

There are many food-related loanwords worldwide that in their adopted cultures basically just mean “this food we’ve got that we think tastes quite a bit like this other exotic foreign food”. See also: “English muffins”.

Maybe in your second post, which wasn’t what I quoted. You said that 7-11 was lying when it sold a product that didn’t have actual Japanese wasabi in it. Which I objected to, because the term is used more often to describe horseradish that imitates the original wasabi than the actual Japanese root.

Food evolves. Pizza bears no resemblance to its original form, which was like a thick dense sweet pancake flavored with rose water and sugar. But Domino’s isn’t lying when they sell you a pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms, and extra cheese, because that’s what a pizza is now.

Again, there’s a reason why the exact same lawsuit failed when tried in California. It has no merit.

Hey! There aren’t any cat tongues in these!